Please sign in to post.

Scotland

We've only got three days in Edinburgh, and one of them we'll be staying in Edinburgh. We want to check out the highlands and then something on the west coast. Suggestions, please. We've heard Glasgow is not particularly interesting - is that your experience, too? If there were one island off the coast of Scotland to get to and from in one day from Edinburgh, what would you suggest?

Posted by
203 posts

You might consider St. Andrews. We were really impressed (husband is a big golfer) and it's only about an hour drive from Edinburgh. Nice little seaside town. We loved Inverness in the Highlands. It's a bit of a drive for a short trip, but probably not bad by train.

Posted by
1068 posts

@April - yes! St. Andrews. Lovely little place. I'm planning on getting my husband (also a mad golfer) there next time we are in the UK. I was also going to mention that Glasgow has been sprucing itself up lately and is supposedly one of the best places for live music outside of London. I was last in Glasgow 30 years ago (ACK!) so cannot speak from recent experience... but maybe others on this board will give good old Glasgow a shout-out? Oh - and you might get more replies if you post this question in "To the North." I didn't expect this particular question in the "Transportation" secion.

Posted by
2876 posts

For a place on the west coast, I'd suggest Oban. If you go on a Sunday, you can take a train directly there from Edinburgh.
Oban is a colorful fishing town. You can take boats from there to nearby islands, but if you don't make your trip an overnighter, you won't have enough time. You can read about the Sunday train & other Oban info here: http://www.oban.org.uk/Day-Trips-to-Oban

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you - all wonderful suggestions. And I've posted also on "To the North".