Please sign in to post.

London-Edinburgh

Hi! I'm arriving into LHR around 12. How long should customs take me (roughly)? After customs, I'll be taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station, and then will take a cab from Paddington Station to King's Cross Station in order to catch a train. My question is - how long should this all take? What time should I buy my train ticket for? Also, will I have enough time at the train station to get a student railcard (if not, that's fine).

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks! The tube is definitely out of the question as I have far too many bags!

Posted by
1265 posts

Alix - There are many factors that play into the answer to your question. How much luggage will you have, How many other trans-atlantic flights are arriving at the same time as your flight. Figure 1-2 hrs to get thru customs. The Heathrow Express takes 15 minutes to get to Paddington. I'm not sure of the taxi time from Paddington to King's Cross station. If you have only carry on, you can take the tube to King's Cross station. That takes a little over an hour and is cheaper than the Heathrow Express.

Posted by
14944 posts

Here's a thought......figure out how much it will cost to take the Heathrow Express, then a cab (fare about 8-10 GBP), then the train to Edinburgh....and then see what it would cost to fly from Heathrow to Edinburgh. You might be surprised. Much less hassle flying.

Posted by
8 posts

Hi Frank! I actually found the same thing this morning (after I posted this OP). My only concern with flying is - I will be switching not only planes, but also airlines and terminals (and will have to claim my baggage in between), so I'm a bit worried about how to actually transfer from T3 arrivals to T5 departures (and how long it would take to do so). Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Posted by
14944 posts

Terminals 1 or 3 to Terminal 5 Use Heathrow Express trains for a free transfer between Heathrow Central and Terminal 5. This quick, convenient service runs every 15 minutes and the journey takes about three minutes. Please ensure you board the correct train as Heathrow Express also runs non-stop to London Paddington. Heathrow Central is between Terminals 1 and 3, which are a few minutes' walk away via underground walkways and are signposted from the platforms. The Terminal 5 rail station is in the basement of the terminal and linked to check-in and arrivals by express lifts. Alternatively, the 441 and 724 buses provide a free transfer between the terminals, taking 10 and 20 minutes. The N9 night bus, which runs between 23:55 and 04:55 (times vary at weekends), also takes ten minutes. Services stop at the Terminal 5 bus station (next to the terminal) and the Heathrow central bus station (between Terminals 1 and 3). Please be advised, bus service 441 travels from Terminal 4 to Heathrow Central and also from Terminal 4 to Englefield Green. The front of the bus will be clearly marked with its destination, but if you are unsure, please check with the driver. I go the above from Heathrow's website: http://www.heathrowairport.com What airline are you flying....American or Virgin?

Posted by
2362 posts

Just a thought but have you figured out how much it will cost for your luggage fees especially if traveling on a low cost airline such as Ryan Air or Easy Jet. Some are very strict as to how much you can take and cost can be very high. You said you will have many bags so you need to figure this out.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks! I'm not sure if that transfer stuff applies to people who are taking a non-connecting flight...maybe i'm just reading it wrong? I thought it just applied to people who have a connecting flight/1 ticket? I'm flying into LHR terminal 3 on a virgin atlantic flight. Then, I'm looking into a British Airways flight from LHR to EDI (which leaves from T5). So, from what i've read, because it's not a connecting flight/they can't tag my luggage, etc...I have to go through customs, claim my 2 huge suitcases, then head over to T5, check in, etc. My flight into LHR arrives at 12:05, and I'm looking at taking a BA flight that leaves LHR at 3:25...i'm just wondering if this is enough time. sorry for the questions/details! I usually just fly into LHR without any transfers!

Posted by
8 posts

@Gail - yup. I initially was going to do a single booking, but the luggage restrictions with BMI would be too difficult for me. I'm checking 2 bags (neither will be oversized, though!). I checked with BA today, and they said that if you check a bag online (not with them), it's $51, which seems pretty reasonable...

Posted by
14944 posts

Ali, Here are detailed instructions of what to do. 1) Get off your Virgin Atlantic flight. 2) Follow signs to passport control/immigration. Get your passport stamped. 3) Go to baggage claim. Collect your luggage and go through customs. 4) Exit Terminal 3 with your luggage and walk towards Heathrow Central. (public transport station). There will be signs pointing you in the right direction. 5) Take the Heathrow Express towards Terminal 5. Make sure it's going in the right direction or you'll wind up in London. This ride is free. 6) The Terminal 5 Heathrow Express station is in the basement of Terminal 5. Get off and take the elevator up to the check in desks. Check in like you would any flight.
7) Go to your gate. You will have to go through security. Virgin does not interline with BA.