Please sign in to post.

Driving times

Good day, Can you confirm the following driving times: Prague - Salzburgh - 5 hours Salzburgh - Florence - 6 hours Rome - Chur (Switzerland) - 8 hours
Munich - Prague - 4 hours Thanks

Posted by
2876 posts

You can confirm driving times at viamichelin.com, but remember that viamichelin's times are driving times only, and do not allow for stopping for gas, lunch, heavy traffic, etc.

Posted by
12172 posts

I also use viamichelin to get an idea of driving times for planning purposes. I try to keep my legs short. It's more fun when a travel leg doesn't eat up an entire day.

Posted by
32982 posts

Remember that none of us know your driving style, how long you stop for breaks, food, etc., how much sightseeing you will do along the way, what the traffic will bring. It would be a stab in the dark.

Posted by
803 posts

I also use Via Michelin and add about 15 -20%. Their times are just driving with perfect traffic and no stops. I have been over some of the routes you are looking at and here are my thoughts for whatever they are worth. Prague - Salzburg is reasonable. Salzburg - Florence will be a long grind. Worst of all, you will be pressing through some beautiful countryside in Austria and the Italian Tyrol. I would break the trip at Castelroto, stay at one of the many nice inns or hotels, marvel at the scenery and have dinner at the Hexenkeller. Rome - Chur will in in reality take about 10 hours with all the stops along the way for food, fuel and bathroom calls (don't forget to get a Swiss autobahn sticker at the border). The worst thing is that you will get into the magnificent scenery of the Swiss alps about the time that driving fatigue sets in. Check Via Michelin for their two recommended routes and break the trip at someplace like Levanto or Como. Munich - Prague is reasonable. I know my suggestions add time to your trip but one of the great advantages of travel by car is the ability to stop and smell the roses. Have a great time.

Posted by
13 posts

Good evening all, Thank you for your comments. I'm seriously thinking of changing the return trip from Rome and go the same way North - ie via Austria instead of Switzerland. I will then be able to take your advice and break in Castelroto. Our drive to Salzburg today went well - after a rocky start with the rental vehicle. Have a good night