Please sign in to post.

Luggage security

We will be flying from Paris to Madrid and are curious if the guidelines are the same for locking your suitcase when flying out of Paris as in the US? We would like the piece of mind of having it locked but not sure what the "rules" are over there?

Posted by
32219 posts

Tammy, I normally lock my Backpack for flights within Europe, usually with a TSA Lock. I realize that local authorities may not always have keys to open it, but I've only had the Lock cut-off once. Part of the reason I prefer to lock it, is that it also prevents the zippers from opening due to vibration or handling.

Posted by
23305 posts

The rules are exactly the same. If they want to inspect it and it is locked, they will cut the locks. Therefore we always use the heavy,nylon, cable ties that costs about three cents so if it is cut off the lost in min.

Posted by
4407 posts

Ditto on the cable ties - I don't recall the TSA NOT going through my luggage on the rare occasions I've checked any...and I think my luggage is pretty boring. So, definitely cable ties on international flights. Be Sure you have some way of removing the ties once you get to your destination...and Don't put your removal tool (nail clippers are good) IN the bag you've secured with cable ties. Don't ask...Leave a little slack in the cable; otherwise, you'll have a really difficult time getting your nail clippers to find something to grab on to.

Posted by
643 posts

We didn't lock our suitcase on our last trip to London. Nothing inside was disturbed. I don't see the point of locking a suitcase with a TSA lock, when the most likely people to open your luggage and possibly remove anything, are the TSA themselves, who are the ones who handle your luggage after you drop it off at the airport check-in counter.

Posted by
15125 posts

Don't forget....carry anything of value: prescription medications, electronics, etc. in your carry-on. If your bag is out of sight, it's prey to a thief. Locked or not. A thief can get into a locked, zippered suitcase in about 15 seconds. And you won't know it until you open the suitcase and find something missing. (It will look as if no one tampered with it. The lock will still be locked.)

Posted by
23305 posts

That is true ONLY if you do not immobilize the zippers. The screw driver or ball point to the zipper only works if the zipper closure is free to move and reclose the zipper. With a long cable tie it is very easy to immobilize the zippers bodies. They can break the zipper open but cannot mask their work.

Posted by
15125 posts

That's true, Frank, and some manufacturer are including locking points to immobolize the zippers. However, if a cable lock allows the zippers to move just a few inches, it may be enough for a thief. So, if you use a cable lock, make sure it can literally prevent the zipper from moving at all.