Please sign in to post.

naples to sorrento: train or bus?

We will be arriving in Naples by train and plan to go straight to Sorrento. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Currier (SP?) bus vs. Circumvesuviana train? (Two tough older ladies with light luggage)

Posted by
1078 posts

Love it-take the Circumvesuviana; the "fears" of riding are well over blown in my opinion. We rode it several times from Naples Train station to Sorrento and back and forth to Pompie with no issues, and with back pack and roll-aboard apiece. If you are what I call an "urban traveler' fear not! We did use the bus service from Sorrento to the Naples airport whhen we continued on to Palermo.

Posted by
3551 posts

Take the train, there is a short walk to the Sorrento bound train platform Be xtra careful of your personal belongings an person as Naples train station is notorious for purse snatching or similiar.
enjoy SOrrento is so wonderful!

Posted by
2429 posts

The local train is just downstairs from where you will arrive. I think you buy tickets at booth just before you go downstairs. BAthroom in Naples train station are also downstairs in different area and cost 1 euro, very clean and have attendant.

Posted by
4412 posts

Here's a YouTube video of the train; I'd avoid rush hour - it's much more packed! http://youtu.be/1jFNIfz9ySI **Unless you really like the noise sounds of a train, be sure your speakers aren't turned up LOL!

Posted by
646 posts

The Cureri bus you mention is the shuttle bus from the airport. The Circumvesuviana train is the way to go. We used it traveling from Sorrento to Naples and never felt uncomfortable. Wear your money belt!

Posted by
14 posts

I just love you guys! Thanks so much for the good advice.

Posted by
4412 posts

Well, God Bless Your Little Heart for thanking everyone (from the Proper Southern Lady born and raised 2 1/2 hours from Ft Worth)! Great catch, Camille - I was extremely distracted when posting my reply and forgot to mention that the bus departed from the airport. Also, when returning to Naples from Sorrento, note that your stop at Naples is the Second-to-Last "Napoli Garibaldi" stop, and NOT the last stop called "Napoli Porta Nolana"! The "Napoli Garibaldi" stop is located underground at the main train station called "Stazione Centrale F.S." that will take you to Rome, etc.