Please sign in to post.

ITALY TRAINS

I am arriving at Rome airport on 20th August - due in at 7:15am - and wish to travel by train to Florence. I know I have to catch the train from Rome Termini and buy a ticket and make a reservation beforehand. However, not knowing exactly when the flight will arrive, how can I make a reservation for a particular train? Any suggestions/information/tips will be gratefully received

Posted by
23568 posts

You cannot and should not for the reason you mentioned. When you get to the ticket office at the airport for the Leonard Express, buy your ticket for Florence. There are 54 trains a day to Florence so I am sure you can find one you like.

Posted by
2 posts

Frank Thanks for this. Given that this is a Saturday in mid-summer, do you think that there will be space on these trains?

Posted by
32327 posts

Peter, I agree with Frank, for the same reasons. It would NOT be a good idea to pre-purchase a reserved ticket since there's no way to absolutely guarantee that you'd be able to connect with a particular train. Especially in Rome, there could be a number of reasons for delays (including your flight being late). When I arrived there last year, it took over an hour and a trip back through security to get my checked luggage (I was not impressed!). As you're going directly to Florence, buy your tickets at the airport station. If you're not able to get on the next train departing Termini, there will be another one along in an hour or so. DON'T forget to validate your ticket on the Leonardo Express! Happy travels!