Please sign in to post.

night train in Italy

My friend and I (both older women but tough) plan to take night train between Syracuse in Sicily and Rome. Just read a collection of scary stories. Knock-out spray, stolen keys for robberies, etc. What's the scoop?

Posted by
23568 posts

Where were the scary stories -- a comic book? Seriously, what is the source? There always the potential for problems but the probability is low. Like -- we constantly discuss pickpockets on this site. Yet in nearly a year of European travel, I have never seen a pickpocket. PS - instant knock out sprays are only in the movies.

Posted by
2829 posts

You should avoid that crappy night train not because of urban legends of knock-out sprays, but because they are filthy, dirt and snow. I'm Italian, and those trains in Italy have a reputation of being the domain of poor people for most of it. In any case, there are two types of night trains: the ICN (intercity notte), which are bad for couchettes and merely ok for private sleepers (which are expensive), and the E (espresso) that are trash. Avoid the latter one at all costs: they are 2nd-class only, without a/c, the carriages are from the 70s, and they are frequented by those too poor to afford any other form of travel between Calabria and Sicilia and the rest of the country. They even have seats allowing travel from Reggio Calabria to Milano at a mere € 59 (prices from 2010). So, if you are not keen on forking € 140/each to travel on a private sleeper, there is the option of going to Villa San Giovanni and from there catching an Eurotstar (ES) that will complete the trip taking, in total, 4 hours less.

Posted by
4535 posts

Such things have happened but they are rare. You probably have as much chance getting blown up in a mafia car bomb attack in Sicily - something that has happened before but isn't stopping you from going there...

Posted by
14 posts

Whoo-hoo! That's what I thought too but just needed a little back-up.
Onward we go! Thanks, guys.

Posted by
17247 posts

I always thought those "train gassing" stories were "urban legend" material too--yet there it is on the State Department website. Are they just perpetuating a myth, or is there some truth to this?

Posted by
811 posts

That State Department page also states to "Bring travelers' checks and one or two major credit cards instead of cash," which, as we all know, isn't applicable everywhere in the world...

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you, Andre. So you recommend taking a regular train over to Villa San Giovanni and then catching the fast train? I would have never thought of that.

Posted by
14 posts

We have decided to fly from Catania to Rome, thus giving us almost an entire extra day in Rome. Not that much pricier either. Thanks to all for advising.