Please sign in to post.

Carry-on luggage size

I'm researching carry-on luggage and I'm confused. The luggage store says that the 21-22" length limit used in the States is too long for international trips. I'm going to Europe and want to make sure I get the right size. Should I be looking for a 20" length and does that include the wheels? Most of the tags say 21", but measure more if the wheels are included. What total length is acceptable for carry-ons to travel within Europe?

Posted by
19240 posts

Lola, Actually, 56 is 22.047 in. (that little zero gets in the way.) You must have used 2.5 cm/in, but it's 2.54 cm/in. Most European airlines (Luftahansa, SwissAir, AirFrance, SAS) use 55 cm long, which is 21.65 in (21-5/8 in), so 22 inches IS too long for most European airlines. Only British Air gives you that extra 1 cm. One more thing to consider, many European airlines (Lufthansa, SwissAir, SAS) have an 8 kg weight limit. That's 17.6 lb. Most "carryons" with wheels weigh about 7 lb, empty! That means you'll be able to have less than 11 lb of contents. My non-wheeled convertible bag weighs less than 2 lb empty - less than 13 lb with 11 lb of contents.

Posted by
17247 posts

Carlene, it depends on the airline. You should check the individual websites for guidance. We fly British Airways and do not use the budget European airplines at all, so we do not worry about their restrictions. BA allows hand baggage dimensions of 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cn, which they indicate is 22 x 18 x 10 in inches. (Actually I get 22.4 inches, converting that 56 cm.). This does include wheels, as well as handle, and the side dimension includes pockets. I take a measuring tape and carefully measure bags before purchase. Most, but maybe not all, so-called 21-inch bags fit within the 22" limit with handle and wheels. (Bags with spinner wheels may not but I've never measured one as I wouldn't buy one.)

Posted by
17247 posts

Oh, man! That darn zero (and my eyesight). I did use 2.54, just didn't notice that extra zero. I'm glad I didn't try to sneak my 22.4 inch carryon into the plane.