Please sign in to post.

Venice to Salzburg

We want to travel from Venice to Salzburg on a daytime train and were told the only "train" option remaining is to go through Verona and Innsbruck via the Brenner Pass. This train route is suppose to be operated entirely by OEBB even though it originates in Italy. Does anyone know if you can use an Austria rail pass for this trip? I am also having trouble finding a way to purchase this ticket online via oebb.at, if I need to individually.

Posted by
4407 posts

You'll also need Italy on your pass...is that what you're asking? I presume you're looking at the early afternoon train (13:34 -20:58)? Without Using a Railpass: There are several routes, on a Tuesday in June, anyway; I have no idea what day you're planning to travel. The routes for Tuesday will probably have some minor, or major, differences from the ones for Sunday. I went to OEBB.at, put in June 21, and got several choices - the best ones (travel-time wise) involve a bus for the first part. **It says you can't buy the bus portion online - even from the Italian site - so get that when you arrive in Venezia (note that the bus station is NOT at the train station!!!). I then clicked on 'Tickets and Prices' and was taken to that page; your prices (without a railpass) are in the right-hand column. When you've chosen a price, you'll go to a new page; look on the top left of the page to change it to English. (cont.)

Posted by
19092 posts

I think you'll find that most of the Day options from Venice to Salzburg consist of an Intercity Coach (Bus) from Venice to Villach and an Austrian IC from there to Salzburg.

Posted by
4407 posts

(cont.) With a Railpass: Now, YOU CAN BUY RESERVATIONS ONLY - start here: From the homepage, change it to English if necessary, then choose 'Tickets' from the left side of the page; from that -down menu choose 'Online-Ticket'. From the several photos, choose 'Online-Ticket again (!). Your departure station will be 'Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof' and your arrival stn 'Salzburg Hauptbahnhof'. Choose 'Seat Reservation Only'. The next page asks you to choose your connections; click 'next' until you see the one you want. Remember - this is the Connection Time, NOT when you want to leave Venezia! For instance, to leave Venezia at 13:34, pick the 19:06 connection time in Innsbruck. IF you take the two 'bus' options, you can choose your (train) seat res. from Villach on to Salzburg... I've checked the various other companies involved - the German, Austrian, and Italian trains - and you'll apparently need to buy your railpass reservation for the Venezia - Innsbruck/Villach leg once you're in Italy. Actually, that 'all-Austrian train' is mostly German; you can get info on seat-only res. (NOT required!) from the German train site: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml At the top left of the page, click on 'Offers'. Under 'Travel Offers w/i Germany' chose 'Seat Reservation', then click on 'Price Table' to see the cost. (I'd go bus...)

Posted by
19092 posts

Actually, that train, an EC, is operated by German Rail, not Austrian Rail. But that doesn't matter. Since it goes through Italy and makes numerous stops in Italy (Verona, Bolzano, Brennero, etc) you must have a rail pass that includes Italy.

Posted by
138 posts

I don't know anything about the rail pass issue, but I'm throwing in my two cents to say don't be put off by the bus/train route via Villach. It's a really scenic trip and I enjoyed the double-decker large windowed bus ride from Venice to Villach more than the overcrowded train from there to Salzburg last summer. And I did buy the tickets for the whole trip online easily through the OEBB website.