Please sign in to post.

Train Route?

So I think we have decide to do the train from Milan to Paris. Out of curiosity does anyone know what direction the direct train would take to get there? We are trying to figure out what part of France we will get to see. or would it go up through Switzerland?? Thank you. (I'm hoping that it is just a standard route)

Posted by
19240 posts

Looking at the Bahn website, I see various routes, from Milan to Geneva to Paris, from Milan (through Switzerland) to Basel to Paris, or from Milan only through Italy to France to Paris. It looks like the most direct route (no changes) goes through Italy (Torino) to France to Paris, avoiding Switzerland.

Posted by
32327 posts

Leslie, Are you interested in scenery, or the quickest route?

Posted by
32327 posts

Leslie, The quickest trip I found on the bahn.de website (using an arbitrary date) was a departure from Milano Centrale at 12:25, arriving Gare de Lyon at 19:45 (time 7H:20M, one change in Geneve. Most of the other trips are ~45M longer, but will get you to Paris by about 16:45. The trip from Geneve to Paris is only about 3-hours via TGV (not surprising as it travels at 300 kmH when it has "clear stretches" of track that don't pass through a town).

Posted by
99 posts

Ken-
The quickest route I believe. without connections would be nice so we aren't tempted to really mess up our schedule =)

Posted by
8700 posts

The timetables on the German Rail site allow you to see all the intermediate stops for each route and you also can click on a map link for each route.