Please sign in to post.

Traveling in Greece

Group, Could someone please clarify if rail passes work within Greece? I know that Greece cancelled it's international train services to Greece (i.e. Sofia to T-something/Greece), but does that mean that train service within Greece is cancelled as well? I am in Bulgaria trying to decide if I can catch a bus to Thessaloniki and then travel via train (using my rail pass) to Athens. Afterwards, leave Greece by ferry to Italy. Thanks! Johnnie

Posted by
687 posts

Depends on the pass. If it's a global pass it should work - see http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/rail_menu.htm BTW, the T-city is Thessaloniki. I haven't heard that the internal trains have been canceled altogether, just cut back, but if so the long distance buses are very good and not that expensive. It's worth stopping off on the way south if you have time. How is Bulgaria? Are you keeping a blog?

Posted by
2 posts

Bulgaria is nice. I'm about to go to on a free tour. So, you're saying that the as far as you know, the internal train service is still running? I'd like to travel by bus to the T-city in Greece by bus and then catch a train to Athens. Oh, I have a Eurail global pass. Thanks! J