Please sign in to post.

Transportation from CDG to Paris

I noticed that Rick Steve's suggested taking a taxi to Paris or a bus then connecting with the metro to get to your final destination. It appears that the metro (RER) goes from CDG to mutiple destinations in Paris quickly and for a very reasonable fee. Why not take the RER the whole way?

Posted by
32222 posts

John, The RER doesn't cover as many locations as the Metro, so it's usually necessary to transfer to Metro at some point in the journey (depending of course on where you'll be going in Paris). The usual method I use for travel to the Rue Cler area, is to take the RER from CDG to Gare du Nord, and then transfer to Metro and eventually Line 8 to Ecole Militaire station. The RER doesn't serve the Rue Cler area, so that's the only option. Cheers!

Posted by
3580 posts

Check your Metro map. The RER B from CDG intersects with Metro line 8 in 2 or 3 places, so only one transfer from RER to Metro would be necessary. That is, if you are traveling to the rue Cler area. You can take the RER the whole way if there is an exit near your hotel. It may be easier to walk a few blocks to your hotel with your luggage rather than change to the Metro. Your RER ticket can be used to continue onto the Metro. Just keep using the same ticket in the turnstiles.

Posted by
9110 posts

Most people who use the metro/rer only in the central core area don't even notice the slight difference - - they think they've been only on metro lines the whole way.

Posted by
2876 posts

It depends on how many people and how much luggage. For instance if you're a group of 3 or 4 with luggage, the RER/Metro can be a pain. That's because, if you have to transfer from one Metro line to another, there can be a lot of stairs and walking. In a case like that, I'd go for a bus and/or taxi. The Roissy bus and the Air France bus are both easy & convenient. I'd suggest using www.ratp.fr to map out your route before you decide.

Posted by
32222 posts

Swan, "Check your Metro map. The RER B from CDG intersects with Metro line 8 in 2 or 3 places" I'll have to get a new Metro map! I've never been able to find any locations where the RER "B" intersects with Metro line 8. I usually take RER to Gare du Nord, Metro line 4 from there to Strasbourg Saint-Denis and then transfer to Metro line 8 to Ecole Militaire. Cheers!

Posted by
9110 posts

I think Swan meant there's a couple or three ways to take interconnecting lines from B to 8. If I need to make a direct connection, I use my Batman pulley and ride the phone line from Nord to Est and press on from there. Do not try this in daylight - - wait for the spotlights at night to make a spiffy impression.

Posted by
3580 posts

Ok. I didn't have my Paris Metro map in front of me when I said what I said. I must have been thinking about something else, like what I was going to eat next. What I really have done getting from CDG to rue Cler is take the RER B to Denfert Rochereau exit, transfer to Metro line 6, then transfer again at La Motte Picquet Grenelle exit to the line 8. I like to avoid the really big exchanges like Chatelet and find my route to be relatively stress-free. I do travel light so can move thru the Metro fairly easily. With a larger amount of luggage a taxi would be easier. If your hotel is in the Latin Quarter or Luxembourg area, the RER B could be enough without using the Metro. I am looking at a Metro map as I write this. I've never taken the bus from CDG. Thanks Ken and Ed. You disagreed with me in such a gentle manner!

Posted by
32222 posts

Swan, You're very welcome! No reason to disagree in any other way, especially as I also learn from all of you. Cheers!

Posted by
4408 posts

This must be a new direction for him, because he (and he in his books and travel programs) ALWAYS pushed the RER...