Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt to Prague

I've been doing some research for my railpass. I'm flying into Frankfurt to see my brother, and from there, I want to take the train to Prague. But, I noticed that the "select pass" doesnt include Prague. My other stops are Paris, Brussels, and Amsterdam. I found a "select pass" deal for these (including Germany) no problem. I really want to include Prague on my trip. What do you suggest? Should I get a roundtrip single ticket from Frankfurt to Prague? Try to hitchhike? Bus?

I also heard from someone that if I got a "regional pass" for Czech Republic, that I could use it at the Frankfurt train station. I was under the impression that I could only use it within the borders of Czech Republic. How does that work?

Posted by
12 posts

Uhhhhh....wow. Nevermind. I found a sweet deal with European airlines, and railpasses. It saved me a couple hundred.

Thanks anyway.

Posted by
1568 posts

Rail travel is VERY inexpensive in the Czech Republic.

Posted by
62 posts

I know you said you're all set, but for others who may have the same question: You would simply buy a ticket from the border (I believe the train systems have specific stations or points defined as the border) to Prague. I have heard it is much cheaper to buy the ticket in CZ, but this might be a pain going. Coming back (assuming you'd be going direct from Prague to Germany), you'd buy a ticket to the first Germany station.

Paul

Posted by
959 posts

We took that same route, and for an extra $30 or $40 we just added Czech to our German railpass. It may have cost a couple extra dollars, but we didn't have to worry about buying a supplement. But looking back, it really wouldn't have been a big deal to buy the supplement. I was intimidated before I left, but we had to buy a supplement for a trip we took into Strasbourg, France, and it was dirt cheap AND easy to do... If you found a flight, good for you. We wish that we could have found a cheap flight as opposed to the train. We had just arrived in Europe, and then had to spend over 8 hours on the train to Prague. Normally I love train travel, but after just arriving, it would have been nice to get to our apartment a bit quicker!