Please sign in to post.

Help with Train Travel

Good morning, Having trouble finding train service schedules and fares for the following: Brugges to Delft, Netherlands on Wednesday, 9/14 and Delft to Luxembourg City on Friday, 9/16. Have looked at Belgium Rail System and Rail Europe. Trying to price point-to-point vs. France/Benelux Rail Pass. Final journey is Lux to Paris on TGV. Thanks for any help. Dave
Webster Groves

Posted by
12040 posts

For Brugge, there's about two trains per hour to Antwerp. From Antwerp, the quickest method is to take the either the hourly "international train" to Den Haag or the Thalys train to Rotterdam and a local train from there to Delft. Depending on how tight the connections are, I would estimate the trip would probably take about 3 hours. I'm not sure the exact route from Delft to Luxembourg City, but it probably involves taking a similar combination of trains and routing through Brussels. Third party rail passes for Belgium and the Netherlands are never a good deal. With the exception of the premium trains like Thalys and Eurostar, there's no discount for buying in advanced.

Posted by
8700 posts

I'll add some details to Tom's comments. The cheapest (€38) way to go is Brugge-Antwerp-Rotterdam-Delft on IC and local trains. Depending upon your departure time, you also may need to make a connection in Gent. Delft to Luxembourg City takes five hours if you go Delft-Rotterdam-Bruxelles-Luxembourg (with the Rotterdam-Bruxelles leg being on a high-speed Thalys train) and six hours for the same route if you stick to IC and local trains. If you use only those trains the fare will be €30.40 for Delft-Bruxelles plus €35.40 for Bruxelles-Luxembourg. I found these fares on the Belgian Rail site. The standard 2nd class fare for a Luxembourg-Paris TGV is €78.50. If you book well in advance (up to three months allowed) at tgv-europe.com, you can get a Prem's fare as low as €35. To keep the site in English and to avoid being bumped to the Rail Europe site which doesn't offer discount fares, choose Great Britain as your country of residence. Print your own ticket.

Posted by
23568 posts

The reason you are having problems finding fares and schedules is that you are too early. Sixty days is about the max that the fares and schedules are available in advance which would be about mid July for you. To get schedule information just use the same day of week for next week or next month. Schedules change very little from one cycle to another. The Germany rail site, bahn.de, has very good scheduling info for all of Europe. Avoid Rail Europe.

Posted by
76 posts

Tom and Tim, Thank you so much for the information. Definitely will not get a rail pass since these fares will total less than even the saver pass we were considering. We are renting a car in Luxembourg to visit the Ardennes and Battle of the Bulge sites during our stay there. Thanks again for all your help. Dave
Webster Groves