Please sign in to post.

United Airlines

I've never flown United (usually fly Delta or Continental) but I'm flying United to the UK. I've called them three times about a question. So far, I've gotten one nice person, one person who spoke very little English and didn't understand my request, and one person who was simply rude. Does anyone have a good experience with them to share? I'm worried about my flight now, since I have such a tight layover.

Posted by
2369 posts

Never flown with them but if not satisfied always ask to speak with supervisor. We had terrible time with getting hotels in Europe people barely spoke English. Once got supervisor, had no problems. Try that.

Posted by
362 posts

Living close to Chicago I have flown United numerous times. They are a decent airlines but I too had a problem with their phone customer service which is outsourced to somewhere in the world where their english comprehension is limited, therefore not helpful. As long as your connection is with United you should not have a problem. If you leave late from your initial departure city, let the flight attendants know and they can have the pilots communicate with your connecting airport. I have seen them hold off a flight from gate closures if they have connecting passengers. They can make up some time in the air going to the UK if this happens. When you arrive to connect ask someone from the airlines what your connecting gate is or maybe the flight attendant can get this information before you land, just ask.
I would not be concerned with United at this point and have a good time.

Posted by
1626 posts

I fly United quite a bit but echo the previous poster's comment about outsourced customer service. Completely hit and miss. If you don't like, don't understand, or do not have confidence in what you are being told, call back again and you'll talk to someone else. If still not confident in the answer, ask to speak to a supervisor. FYI we missed a connecting domestic United flight by 2 minutes. Plane was there, door was closed, and they said too bad, next flight is in 24 hours. Be aware of new United Boarding protocal. For years, United has assigned a boarding number based on when you check in and print your boarding pass (except for first class and premier status, etc.). So if you checked in about 24 hours before your flight, you knew you wouldn't be the last group boarding. Not sure when this changed, but it sounded like it was recent, they board from the back of the plane. In my case (domestic flight), I upgraded to econonmy plus for $39 and checked in 23 hr and 55 minutes before my flight. So I was really irritated when my row 10 seat boarded last. In fact when they got to boarding the last 20 people, they were not allowing any rollers on the plane and you had to check at the gate to your final destination. Not sure if this applies to European flights, but could mean that the close you are to the front of the plane, the odds will definitely go up that you are forced to check bags at the gate. Not welcome for those of us that pack light so we can carry on. Would be curious to hear from anyone flying United to/from Europe recently if the same new process applies.

Posted by
189 posts

Thanks to all who answered. I got us placed in the first three seats of our first leg to make sure we could get off the plane first...now I'm worried they will make us check our carryons.

Posted by
1883 posts

As far as speaking to United, call in the middle of the day, not early morning, or late night - that's when it seems you are more likely to get the outsourced customer service people in India or ?? And do keep calling back until you find someone who understands you, and you can understand. I've totally experienced this same thing. I've found some really rude customer service people at United... but then, some really nice ones too!

Posted by
361 posts

With over 4 million air miles under my belt, I have flown a myriad of airlines and at times have had to fly United. All I can say about United is that they DO go out of their way to torture their customers. UGH!

Posted by
1446 posts

I don't usually make my reservations online. I call the airline directly (and it's typically United since we have miles). I've had this experience quite a number of times - I would get a representative who would give me a quote and a route - would be very high. Then I would call back and get someone else, and it would differ. Sometimes I've had to call 4 or 5 times before I got someone who gave me a reasonable rate and who was willing to work with us. It's just been hard for me to understand how it can be this different.

Posted by
6898 posts

I also fly United quite frequently. My recent experience on boarding is that after 1st class, Star Alliance and Premier boarding, they board the window seats next. Aisle and center seats seem to have boarding numbers 3, 4 and 5. This permits the plane to board faster as passengers don't have to crawl over seated passengers to get to the window seats.

Posted by
358 posts

I was a 10 year member of the UAL premier flying club until 3 years ago. On a flight to Paris I bought business class tickets as my wife has some problems with her right upper extremity. I usually make my plane reservations 9-10 months in advance to get seats on the right side of business class to protect my wife arm. Well on the way to Paris they changed our seats to the middle. On the way back they assigned us seats that were non-existent on the UAL plane and they made us to out of the plane and back to the counter taking our carry on luggage with us. Our new seats were again in the middle and after this I switched to Air France which is a great airline. Now I can go directly from LAX to CDG and not have to stop in Chicago or Wash DC. For flights in the USA i use AF partner Delta.

Posted by
1357 posts

Just a comment about the post about the plane being at the gate but the door being closed. When the crew closes the door, that's counted as their "departure time", not when the plane actually pulls away from the gate. Once that door's shut, ain't nothin' going to make them open it. Since I fly standby (and sometimes miss getting on flight after flight), I get the pleasure of seeing what people do when they get to the gate after the door is shut. Last summer, I saw a guy pound on the door, to the point that security was almost called on him. There's also been several times that I've been hurried into the door and had it shut immediately behind me. You've got to remember all of that when you see those reports of on-time departures.

Posted by
69 posts

I usually fly Delta, but once booked a flight with United from Hong Kong to Singapore, purely driven by the low fare. Now I understood why! Relieved I only had to suffer four hours and will never chose them again.

Posted by
247 posts

Kristie, I'm sure this could happen on any airlines but..... we had a flight out of GSP (SC) to Rome leaving at 7:30 pm with a tight connection in DC. Long story short, plane was in but crew wasn't...flight was so late by the time we got to DC we missed our flight out heading to London and on to Rome. Due to that first late flight we had to spend a night in DC and one in London, yes the airlines did pay for our lodging but we missed one of our two nights in Rome. Moral of story as told by a supervisor..don't book the last flight out, if there's going to be a problem thats where it will be. I say too little too late what did I know!! We just returned May12th so you know I just have to vent!!!

Posted by
12172 posts

Nowadays, even the good airlines aren't that great. We flew SAS last summer and I'm certain it was the tightest pitch between seats of any aircraft I've ever flown on.

Posted by
805 posts

If you travel enough, sooner or later every airline will screw up. The only difference is how they handle it.

Posted by
973 posts

Kristie, when and where is your layover? The size of the airport may determine your mood. I have in the past had the golfcarts get me to a flight on time ( intermittent hip issues). The carts in Europe seem to take longer/are fewer in number than in the US. I flew United last year from AMS to IAD in business class and it was pretty good, not perfect but I don't remember why I thought it wasnt as good as the flights that have only 2 classes. The above poster is correct, sooner or later something happens and it's the response that matters.
At the moment I'm STEAMED with United for cancellling my college students nonstop flight Sunday and not notifying him, the phone number on the reservations, or Continental ( where the reservation originated). The Elite desk was on hold 41 minutes, waiting for a supervisor to put him on a flight thru Houston instead of routhing him Chicago-Denver- Austin three or four hours later. Never did find out why the flight was cancelled. Continental last year also retrieved his wallet and phone from a seatback where he had left it- unbelieveably good luck and quick action on Continental's part saved him again. I worry that United will ruin Continental- but that's for another thread isn't it.

Posted by
4407 posts

I understand about the luggage...be sure your Very Important Things (it's all important, but): meds, wallet, guidebook, change of clothing, anything that would ruin your trip not to have are in a smaller bag that you can yank out in the event you need to gate-check your bag at the last minute. That way, you don't spend the entire flight worrying about what you did or didn't get out of your bag - it's already been pondered at home!

Posted by
189 posts

Hi everyone, thanks for the advice. I'll be flying from Nashville to Washington DC (Dulles) with a 1 hour layover. Still nervous, but here's hoping.
Thanks!