Please sign in to post.

Driving in Belgium

Don't try it!!! The roads between cities are OK, but nothing is marked in the towns and cities. We spent hours being lost in every city we visited in Belgium and very much regretted having rented a car. If you must do it, rent a GPS navigation system as well.

Posted by
934 posts

I agree with Tom.We drove from Trier to Brussels and then to Bruge.I didnt find it difficult.A GPS makes finding things in Brussels easier.

Posted by
12040 posts

I'd have to slightly disagree here. Yes, if you are a casual visitor to Bruges, Brussels or Leuven, driving is difficult and probably not necessary. But many of the other cities (Ghent, Mons, Charleroi, Hasselt, Antwerpen) are no more difficult to navigate than the average American city. Having a rental car in Belgium is not a must- few places in Europe are- but navigation is managable.

Posted by
239 posts

I agree with Tom and Jack. Using Ieper as a home base, I drove through small towns in Flanders and into Brugges last spring. I thought things were well marked. I had a little bit of trouble with construction near the train station in Brugges but got around that fine. I did put routes in Mapquest and studied them a bit before I drove (like I would do in unfamiliar cities in the U.S. too) but I thought streets were very clearly marked.