Please sign in to post.

Oyster vs. Travelcard

I'm trying to figure out which would work better for me. I thought I had it already figured out, but lost my notes on the subject. I want to travel during peak times in Zones 1-2. Would a travelcard or the Oyster card work better? I've tried to find the original post with no luck.

Posted by
135 posts

Oyster Card, hands down. Just returned from London,we bought the card at Heathrow,put 15 pounds on each one,hit the ground running. Easy and convenient.
Enjoy!!!

Posted by
643 posts

Oyster Card is so simple to use, just tap and go through the gate. We put a one-week travelcard on ours and didn't think about it while we went everywhere by bus and tube. Strangely enough we only got six days of use out of it (In the States a week is defined as seven days). If you buy the one-week travelcard late in the day like we did, it counts that day as starting from midnight. So that was Monday at 4:30pm, and that next Sunday by 4pm, the cards didn't work anymore and we had to add more money to them.

Posted by
8700 posts

How many days will you be in London? Will you be traveling alone or with at least one other person? See this page for a helpful comparison between travelcards and Oyster cards.