Please sign in to post.

train to Versailles

We will be staying in Paris near the Louvre. Can you tell me the best way to get to Versailles by train? Do we take a certain metro line to get to a station that gets us there? I've heard of the RER but would like to know more. Best line to take? Froms where in Paris?, etc.

Posted by
9110 posts

Nope, nope, and nope. Assuming you're on the north side of R. Rivoli near the Louvre, the directions above start you out with a mile and a half walk or so. (I have no idea what good a bus in the direction of the ET would do for getting you to Saint Michel/Notre Dame - - the station is even named backwards in the above post - - which is in the opposite direction.) Disregard the whole lot above. The closest metro station to the Louvere is Palais Royal at Rivoli and Richelieu. Hop the #7 line heading east to Jessieu. At Jessieu, switch to the #10 line to Gare d'Austerlitz, then switch to the RER C to Versailles Rive Gauche. There are a few other ways to skin that cat, but the reamainder involve a good bit of tunnel hiking. If you're somewhere else, cough up the nearest metro station or hotel address and we'll regroup. Edit: the junk in the post above is mostly cut and paste from the cited link, but the applicability is zilch, mostly thrown off by the paragraph beginning with 'Walk'. Sheesh!

Posted by
8700 posts

Here's a westerly route. Take metro line 1 from either Louvre Rivoli or Palais Royal-Musee du Louvre to Concorde. Take metro line 8 one stop to Invalides. Take the RER C to Versailles-Rive Gauche. The RER C line divides on the west side of Paris. Trains going to Versailles-RG have the nameplate VICK. The current price for a single ticket from anywhere in Central Paris to Versailles is €3.05.