Please sign in to post.

International Driver's License?

Saw a quick reference to needing an "international driver's license" to drive in Europe. This is a translation document, correct? Not necessarily required, but handy? I plan on getting one, just want to make sure I'm getting the correct thing. Thanks.

Posted by
8700 posts

Technically, it's called an International Driver's Permit, not a license. Yes, it gives the essential information on your license in eight languages. It's wise to have one for driving in countries whose language is not English. It's required by law in Italy.

Posted by
4535 posts

Depends on which country you are driving in. Some require it and some it's just a good idea. The chance of "needing" it is slim but I'd get one. The IDP proves your state license is valid AND translates the information. Many people mistakenly think it is only a translation. In Greece it is required just to rent a car.

Posted by
32206 posts

Jillian, I would also highly recommend getting an I.D.P. if you plan on driving in Europe. As this only costs $15-20, it makes sense to have one. An I.D.P. is compulsory in Italy, and drivers who fail to produce one if requested can be fined on the spot! As someone else mentioned, you won't even be able to rent a car in Greece without one (I rented a car in Greece last year, so can attest to that). Therefore, it is "necessarily required" in some countries! As you probably noted, you can obtain an IDP easily at any AAA office. Happy travels!

Posted by
571 posts

As Ken, and maybe others, noted before your question, if you are an AAA member, it is easy and inexpensive to pick up an IDP at your local AAA office. I also purchase one of their small starter packs of foreign currency while I am there so I have a few pounds, or euros, or whatever, when I arrive in Europe. Two errands solved in one trip! EDIT: Oops, I just realized you're already there. Too late I guess.

Posted by
46 posts

now that we are already here, how do we get one ?

Posted by
2876 posts

Susan - you're probably out of luck. Here are the rules according to drivers.com: (note the last sentence) Requirements Applicants for an IDP must: •be 18 or older, •have a recognized driver's license, •submit two passport-type photos, and
•make their application on an official form provided by the issuing authority. An IDP cannot be post-dated, extended, or renewed, and is valid for only one year from the date of issue. Each time a new IDP is required, the driver must repeat the entire application procedure. The IDP must be applied for in the country of origin and cannot be used there in place of a regular driver's license.

Posted by
32206 posts

Susan, As Tom mentioned, you MUST obtain the I.D.P. in your home country prior to departure. As you're already in Italy, you're out of luck!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks everyone! Your comments pointed me to better web info than I'd found previously - the IDL is compulsory in Belgium as well, where I'll be. Now if there were just a AAA within an hour from my house... Happy Travels!

Posted by
768 posts

There appear to be four AAA clubs in the Greater Atlanta area. AAA, (404) 843-4500, 4540 Roswell Rd #B, Atlanta AAA (770) 939-7520, 2200 Northlatke Pkwy Ste.129, Tucker AAA (770) 368-2477, 3800 Oakcliff Rd, Doraville AAA (770) 961-8085, 1500 Mount Zion Rd Ste 205, Morrow There is at least one AAA branch in Augusta, Macon, Savanna, Marietta and Columbus. Are all of these locations an hour away?

Posted by
32752 posts

Wow Jillian I was about to reply cheekily about you must be able to find a AAA place nearby, having spent many a year in California where they are nearly on every street corner and are a serious tripping hazard when I decided to have a look at how many AAA-South offices you do have around. Only 9 for the whole state?!?! Wow!! I see your point.

Posted by
2026 posts

AAA can issue the IDL and they also took the required photos in their office (at least our branch did). It took under 5 minutes and cost about $20

Posted by
811 posts

If you'd rather not drive forever and a day to an AAA office, you can also do it by mail. The AAA site says it'll take 4-6 weeks for processing and delivery.

Posted by
1064 posts

I received my IDL for 2011 by mail in about 10 days in February. I cannot imagine why they would say "four to six weeks." This is not a passport.

Posted by
6 posts

Mailed my form to AAA on Monday, the IDP arrived in my mailbox today (Thursday). Thanks again to all for the help. I'm all set.

Posted by
32206 posts

Jillian, Note that an I.D.P. must be used in conjunction with your home D.L., so be sure to pack that as well (this might be a good time to check the expiry date). Cheers!

Posted by
805 posts

I would definately emphasize the reminder to bring your normal DL with your IDP. The AAA guy who took my picture before I left on my last trip says he was amazed at how many thought it was a replacement for your normal license. Its not, its merely an international translation of your licensee to aid local police.

Posted by
93 posts

So, here's a question. What if you are not a member of AAA and you leave in 4 weeks? Any ideas of what I need to do? :)

Posted by
811 posts

Hi Jill, No membership is required to obtain an IDP. Your best bet would be to go to the nearest office to get it (looks like there is one in Humble); it usually only take a few minutes depending on if anyone is ahead of you in line. OR, you could likely do it by mail as Jillian has, because although the AAA website says it'll take 4-6 weeks to arrive it appears that they process it much faster than that. But, there are always exceptions to that rule so for peace of mind, I'd just head to the nearest office and get it in person.