Please sign in to post.

Germany to Italy by Train

We are traveling from Berlin to Rome (with a few stops along the way). We already have our 3 country (Germany, Austria & ITaly) Rail pass (thanks to ricks's online store). But, I am having difficulty reading the schedules - timelines - reservation requirements. We land in Berlin on May 8. Spend a couple nites touring around Berlin. Then Train to Dornröschenschloss Sababurg for husband's 50th birthday on May 11. Not sure, but I think we take the ICE to Kassel then Hofgeismar? Next stop is Rothenburg ob der Tauber for a nite with the Watchman. (take the Würzburg station to Rothenburg?) Then we have 5 days free travel between Rothenberg and Italy. I thought we might spend some time in Siena and tour the Castello della Magione, but haven't been able to locate that on the maps, or in travel literature. Any ideas for the 5 free days? We have reservations in Rome beginning the 16th and leave on the 19th of May. Which train do we take from Rothenberg to Italy? What do we do for 5 days? Tour Munich? or Venice? or ??
I would appreciate any assistance or suggestions you may have...

Posted by
19240 posts

You can go to Rothenburg via Würzburg. Take a regional train to Steinach (about the 7th stop). The train will probably be headed for Treuchtlingen. Steinach is usually a pretty short change, but it's no big deal, there are only five tracks in Steinach. "Which train do we take from Rothenberg to Italy?" Your route to Italy undoubtedly goes though Munich. With a rail pass you can use an ICE from Nürnberg to Munich - not much faster, sometimes slower, but less train changes. You'll have about 3 trains between Rothenburg and Munich - back to Steinach, Steinach to Ansbach, Ansbach to Nürnberg, Nürnberg to Munich. " I think we take the ICE to Kassel then Hofgeismar? " ICE to Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe, then regional train to Hofgeismar. There are stations at both Kassel and Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe. I don't think the train from Berlin stops at Kassel Hbf, only at K-W, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you so much... I truely appreciate the clarification. I was stressing the Train stations and time schedules.