Please sign in to post.

Greek Island Ferries

My husband and I will be traveling from Athens to Mykonos in June, then 3 days later Mykonos to Santorini. There are a lot of different types of ferries - is one company better than the other? Is it better to go with the large Blue Star Ferry which is cheaper and slower, or go on the faster Speedrunner, or Highspeed ferries, faster and more expensive. Very difficult to get information. How likely is it that the ferry would cancel due to rough seas? The slower Blue Star Ferry is a much bigger boat, but takes over 5 hours (as opposed to 4 hours on the fast ferry) but I guess it would not be affected by rough seas as much as a smaller hydrofoil. Is it best to book the tickets before we leave or is it just as easy to get them on day of travel.

Posted by
7916 posts

Opinions differ, here's mine. The best ferry is the one that works with your schedule, since a line may run from a port early in the day vs late, run some days, not others. Ferries tend to be pretty utilitarian, so amenities really do not matter. Fast vs Slow is something many consider, I have always been of the opinion that an hour here or there really is not an issue, I go back to what I said before, if a slow ferry leaves earlier, getting me there at the same time or before, then I go the slow ferry, if the fast ferry works, I take that. The flying cats and hydrofoils can be great, but be warned that if the sea is even somewhat rough, they can be hell. The larger ferries have a wider operating range, but even they can cancel or get rough. I see no reason to try to buy tickets far ahead of time. Ferries are like the bus, buy your tickets when you get there. I typically will buy my tickets to leave when I arrive, or a day or two before. That way I see the latest schedules (which are subject to change) and can plan my stay. Cancellations due to wind or rough seas do happen, we were there once for 2 weeks in September, during that time, the ferries did not run for a two day period (did not affect us), but it does reinforce the need to be flexible. Some travel company sites in Greece prey upon this uncertainty, offering to make both hotel and ferry arrangements, guaranteeing the hotel and no cancellation fees if the weather acts up. I prefer to buy as I go, others like the security, though one reason they can guarantee is that there is always room on the next ferry and most islands have an abundance of hotel rooms.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Paul, Thanks so much for your reply which was exactly what I was looking for. I think we will just wait and book when we're there. I've found it very frustrating to get information about ferries, so thank you so much. I did read that it was cheaper to book tickets before you leave but I can't imagine we would save much and it's better to have the flexibility to change, as you pointed out. They are not likely to be booked out in mid June? The slower ferry (Blue Star) sounds better for us as I think it is more open, I would rather sit or walk around outside in the fresh air than be stuck inside and not able to see out. Thanks again
Heather

Posted by
425 posts

Here's another opinion ..... having left Piraeus (the port of Athens, which is a 15 minute metro or taxi ride from Athens centre) on many ferries, I can say that I have NEVER booked in advance as a foot passenger. I also ALWAYS go for the big slow ferries as this is part of the journey. (Hydrofoils are A W F U L in bad weather!) There are things to see and people to talk to, all of which you will miss otherwise. Every port that you call at is an operatic performance and hugely entertaining. Good grief ... now you've got me thinking of Greece again!! :-) Roger