Please sign in to post.

Rome to Pompeii

I am going to Italy in late Sept. I have an ambitious idea of going from Rome to see Pompeii, Herculaneum, and Mt Vesuvius. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a crowed and rushed bus tour. I understand you can take the rapid euro star train to Naples and then take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii. My questions are as follows: 1. How far in advance should I book the eurostar train? I will arrive on a Friday and want to travel on Monday. Should I book before I travel to Rome? 2. Should I book a round trip ticket and does that require me to pick a departure time back to Rome, or can I get on any return train? 3. Once in Naples, on the Circumvesuviana train should I buy a round trip ticket even though I am planning to stop at Herculaneum/Vesuvious after Pompeii and before returning to Naples? 4. Do I run the risk of any of the Circumvesuviana trains being sold out? 5. Has anyone taken the shuttle bus from Herculaneum to Vesuvious? 6. Do all of the train tickets need to be validated in the yellow machines? ( I am still unclear about validation)
I speak zero Itialian and my greatest fear is getting stuck or lost. This is my first time in Italy. Also if anyone has any tips about Pompeii/Herculaneum/Vesuvious that would be great. Thank in advance for any advice

Posted by
23562 posts

It is beyond ambitious to the point that it cannot be done other than to say, Yep!! I past buy that !! But I will play along.
1. You can buy tickets the day before. However, some discounts are offered for early purchases. 2. Yes, you have to. The ES requires seat reservation so it is train specific and with a discount ticket if you miss the train you are out of luck. 3. The Circum... is local commuter run. No reserve seat so buy two tickets and use anytime -- Critical to validate ticket prior to getting on train. 4. Never sold out but could be standing room only. It is only a 30 min ride so it is not a big concern. 5. NO 6. Only an open ticket needs to be validated. If you have a seat reservation then it is only good for that train and that seat so it cannot be used on another train. 7. Carry a compass, a good map, and know how to use both and you will never be lost. And learn a few Italian words before you go.

Posted by
56 posts

We made a similar trip about 3 years ago, but in November. I agree with the comments above. I had no problems with tickets from Rome to Naples - bought them when I got on the train - it was November however. We went from Rome to Naples - then took the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and used it to get back to Pompeii and is good for moving around South of Naples. Rick Steves' comments and directions are pretty good on transfering froml the train to the Circumvesuviana. One comment that I would have is - you will walk down the stairs from the train station to the Circumvesuviana tracks - keep walking down the platform. Lots of people and students tend to gather just below the stairs and crowd the train - thus lots of standing. There are usually plenty of seats at the frount of the train. Jim

Posted by
11659 posts

Jenny: Here's a sample timetable. Not sure I'd do this: It is a VERY long day! - Rome to Naples, lv Rome 0735, ar Naples 0845 - Naples to Ercolano Scavi (Circumvesuviana), lv Naples 0908, ar Ercolano 0919 - Tour Ercolano, 0930-1130 - Ercolano to Pompeii Scavi, lv 1157, ar Pompeii Scavi 1216 - Tour Pompeii, 1230-1430 - Bus to Vesuvius 1440 (from Pompeii; not clear on arrival time. Next bus departs 1530) - Return bus from Vesuvius 1640 or 1740 (last bus is 1740) - Circumvesuviana from Pompeii to Naples, lv Pompeii 1848, ar Naples 1925
- Naples to Rome, lv Naples 1957, ar Rome 2232 I have not done this. Minimal research on the Internet led to this info. Advice I found in cursory search indicated there are more busses from Pompeii to Vesuvius than from Ercolano. I don't know how long the bus ride up to V and back to Pompeii is. Go to the train websites (Trenitalia and Circumvesuviana) and play with timetables. It's a lot of transportation time. Maybe best to set your sights on either Ercolano or Pompeii plus Vesuvius? Just a thought so you have time to truly see the sites and sights, plus time to stop and enjoy a bit. A girl's got to eat, too!