Please sign in to post.

rail connections

We are planning on traveling from London on the Eurostar to Bruxelles Midi with a transfer in Bruxelles to the Inter City Express (ICE) to take us into Aachen, Germany. We only have 13 minutes to make the transfer. I'm looking for someone who is familiar with that station to know if that is an easy change or would we possibly have a difficult time finding the ICE train that we should transfer to. I printed a map of the station but maps always make things look very simple but when you are in the middle of the hustle it can be confusing.
ANY help will be appreciated ! Janice, Reno, Nevada

Posted by
12040 posts

13 minutes is plenty of time (provided there are no delays). It's a large station, but you simply have to look at the arrival board, then proceed to the correct track. A large concourse underneath the tracks links them all together. Which ICE train do you mean, the one operated by Thalys or Deutsche Bahn? Each of these trains has a distinct look and coloring scheme that will make them easy to identify in the station.

Posted by
5 posts

On the Rail Europe website under "Rail Service" it actually says "Inter City Express 17". I just assumed that it was the same as ICE but maybe not. I spoke to an agent and she said it can not be booked out beyond 90 days - if that tells you anything.

Posted by
12040 posts

OK, that would be Deutsche Bahn then. Because your train originates in that station, it will likely be sitting there when you arrive. Look for a long white train with a horizontal red stripe.

Posted by
9109 posts

Janice, before you fork over any money to Rail Europe, be sure to compare prices at the official Thalys site: http://www.thalys.com and the German rail site: http://www.bahn.de/ If you book early enough you can get restricted fares for as little as 23 euros. You can also print your tickets out at home.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks guys! I feel a lot more comfortable about that connection time. I will check those rates before booking tickets. Thanks again!!! Janice
Reno, NV

Posted by
19238 posts

Speaking of fares, those connections, London to Aachen by Eurostar and ICE are available to purchase online in advance from the Bahn for as low as €49 one way with the London Spezial Ticket.

Posted by
5 posts

Lee, I found the general information on the London-Aachen Spezial offered by BAHN but when I try to find the special rates (or any rate) I entered dates within 90 days out and the site gives schedules but says fares not available and unknown tariff abroad and total fare cannot be calculated. It also says runs not everyday. I don't know what I am doing wrong!

Posted by
4412 posts

Janice, you're probably just not looking early or late enough - I picked several random dates in June (weekdays and weekends) and that 'London-Spezial' price is only available AT MOST 3 departure times a day: 6:19, 14:34, and 19:34. AND that price may be €49, or if those have been snatched up then the price is now €69...(2nd class prices; 1st class looks like €99 and up!) **When you get to the train schedule page look at the column with the 'dep/arr' times; at the top it will say "Earlier" and at the bottom it will say "Later". Click on those buttons to quickly see earlier and later trains without having to retype an earlier or later train departure time. Often, an entire day's worth of trains will show on one page.

Posted by
5 posts

Eileen, thank you so much. That did really help. I've spent hours trying to find the right combination of the time of day that we want to travel and at the same time get the lowest fares that we can. It is so nice to have the input of helpful people on line. Thanks again to you and all the others for their input!!!