Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Nice, France

We will be staying in Nice, France, for two days in early July, then plan to rent a car to see the towns and villages in Provence. Given that Nice is large and unfamiliar to us, where would it be best to rent a car: at the airport or train station? If the airport location is best, what is the easiest way to get to the airport car rental with our baggage from our downtown hotel?

Posted by
9110 posts

It would depend on where your hotel is, or maybe not. From the center of town it's less than a half mile to the train station. From the beach front, it's less than three quaters of a mile to the station. Both are an easy walk. Odds are, your hotel's somewhere in this area. Hertz, National, Alamo, and Sixt have rentals places at the station. The airport is four or five miles to the west of town. I can see no sense in going way out there.

Posted by
1446 posts

Also to consider: the rental rates may or may not include a higher concession fee for an airport location pick-up. If your hotel is handy to bus 98 (Promenade des Anglais, Old Nice), then the direct bus to the airport can be a good option. The main advantage to picking up at the airport is that it puts you out of the downtown traffic and on your way to Provence a little easier. Taking a taxi to the train station would also work well, for a car pick up on Avenue Thiers.

Posted by
1178 posts

The train station will be the most convenient....but, do not plan to drive in Nice -- one way streets, and construction were a mess for me...fine to get the car at the train station and then leave town though! The car rental is on the left end of the train station as you face it as I recall.

Posted by
8700 posts

I rented a car through Auto Europe and picked it up at the Nice train station. The car was provided by Europcar. For me driving in Nice wasn't too taxing.

Posted by
253 posts

We never try to rent a car in larger cities, but chose a smaller town close by that has a car rental at the train station there.

Posted by
32802 posts

Its not so much the driving in Nice - just a few gray hairs but who'd notice? - its the parking. There isn't any. Have a look at the dents in most of the cars. If you do park on the street consider leaving your handbrake off so that the car can move forwards and back to let more people in and out; sorta like - but different - Rome. PS: if you're on a hill (you will be if you are out of the centre) don't leave the parking brake off!!!