Please sign in to post.

metro in paris

Traveling to paris in may with two children. What are the best metro tickets/passes to buy, and are they easy to purchase at the paris airport. Trying to decrease stress upon arrival into CDG and getting into Paris central?

Posted by
8700 posts

More information, please. What are the ages of your children? How many days will you be in Paris? What day of the week will you arrive and what day of the week will you depart?

Posted by
1265 posts

Judi, What are the ages of your children and where are you staying in Paris? From CDG to your final destination you could take the RER. Once in Paris you can buy a carnet for travel on the Paris metro.

Posted by
32212 posts

Judi, The quickest and easiest method to get to Paris from CDG is to use the RER and then Metro. Your children might find the experience quite interesting. Which section of Paris is your Hotel located? You might find it very helpful to have a look at This Website as it provides an excellent description (including photos) of the transportation from the airport. Your options for tickets might be limited to standing in the queue at the ticket office (which can be LONG, depending on how many flights have arrived at that time). The automated ticket Kiosks only accept "chip & PIN" cards or Euro coins. I believe there are change machines located close to the Kiosks; the website describes that in more detail. Happy travels!

Posted by
3313 posts

With kids, I'd take a taxi into Paris. That's the least stress and the cost is reasonable compared to shuttles and public transit. Once in Paris, just buy carnets of 10 Metro tickets at a time. It's not worth bothering with other pass schemes. You can get them at Metro stops and ubiquitous "tabacs".

Posted by
1035 posts

"The quickest and easiest method to get to Paris from CDG is to use the RER and then Metro." Arguable whether it is the quickest, but the easiest way is the Roissy bus to Opera.

Posted by
9110 posts

Suggestions at this point are moot. The bus could well require some metro/rer travel subsequently and Opera isn't the easiest station to manage with a throng. Joel and Tim have asked the right questions. Plus it would be helpful to know where the heck 'Paris central' is - - or, even better, what the final destination is.

Posted by
32212 posts

Michael 1, "Arguable whether it is the quickest, but the easiest way is the Roissy bus to Opera." Perhaps I should have said, "it's usually the quickest and easiest method" to get to Paris". The other modes of transport (Taxis, Shuttles, Roissy Bus) are all subject to traffic. Depending on what time of day the OP is travelling and conditions at the time, it could be a very long and expensive Taxi ride! Cheers!

Posted by
1035 posts

"Suggestions at this point are moot. The bus could well require some metro/rer travel subsequently and Opera isn't the easiest station to manage with a throng." I suggest people grab a cab once they reach Opera. €7ish to Rue Rick.

Posted by
284 posts

All, The ticket from CDG to Paris on the RER/metro is a single special ticket that includes the RER segment and the metro on the same ticket. Same for going back out. Edwin