Please sign in to post.

New Zealand - South Island

Woud you recommend Franz Josef (doing half day hike) or Mount Cook and surrounding area? We are excited to spend 5 days on the South Island, flying in and out of Queenstown. We don't think we have time to do both, and are really excited about the glacier hiking but not sure it is worth the 7.5 hour drive up to Franz Josef and not being able to see the area around Mount Cook.
Thanks for any advice!

Posted by
638 posts

Jessica, this is a message board that deals with travel to Europe. I recommend trying Frommers or something similar to find an answer to your questions.

Posted by
355 posts

Barry maybe she is referring to one one of the three localities in England called New Zealand....maybe not.

Posted by
638 posts

Well, being that she referred to hiking Mt Cook, the South Island, Queenstown and Franz Josef glacier I don't think so.

Posted by
977 posts

Logistically and time wise, in 5 days you will only be able to do one of the areas. Queenstown to Franz Josef is 384 kms. approx 5 1/2 hours drive. It is spectacular. I haven't been to the Mount Cook region. While you are in Queenstown try to find the time to drive down the road to Glenorchy. Amazing scenery, as is most of the South Island of NZ