Please sign in to post.

London Underground

I understand there is a lot of construction/repair going on due to 2012 Olympics. Has anyone been in London during the last couple of months and have any hints/tips for those of us going soon. For instance, how difficult is it to get from Victoria to Paddington to take the Heathrow Express?

Posted by
9109 posts

The Olympic Venues are way outside the city center, the "construction/repair" should have zero impact on your trip. Heathrow Express connects the airport to Paddinton Station. If you need to get to Victoria Station best to use the Underground trains to Earls Court, from there transfer to the District or Circle line to Victoria.

Posted by
1957 posts

Thanks, but actually there is work going on at other stations too, for instance Victoria has a major escalator improvement going on until 2016.

Posted by
9109 posts

There's always maintenance and improvement work...on-going, it's not necessarily related to the Olympics. You'd be hard-pressed to visit any major city around the world without avoiding some sort of construction work:)

Posted by
1266 posts

Lauri - This is from the London Transport web site. From 31 January 2011 to mid-January 2012 escalator refurbishment at Victoria Underground station may affect your journey. Between 16:00 and 20:00, weekdays: There will be no ticketing facilities inside the station You may be asked to wait outside the station to prevent overcrowding Once inside the station it may take up to 15 minutes to reach the platform. www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/projectsandschemes/stationsandinterchanges/5140.aspx

Posted by
4684 posts

London Underground are calling on people to avoid entering or leaving Victoria underground station unless strictly necessary. If you're travelling in the rush hour, I'd strongly suggest using the nearest convenient alternative station.

Posted by
1957 posts

Thanks everyone. Yes, I wrote this asking for personal experience partly because I saw the on-line warning about the escalator work at Victoria. Does anyone have personal experience of traveling via Victoria Station within the last few weeks?