Please sign in to post.

Train ticket validation

I purchased a train ticket with a seat reservation from milan central that has a few segments to different cities in Italy. How do you validate ticket and does each segment have to be validated on each day if travel? Grazier!

Posted by
23564 posts

IF the ticket is train specific seat reservation for a certain train at a certain time then the ticket does not have to be validated because it can only be used for that train, day, and time. IF an open ticket - no seat, no time, no train - that ticket is good for about 60 days so it needs to be validate when it is used. In the station, at the head of the platform there are little yellow boxes where you stick the ticket in for a time stamp. I have been told, never had to do it, that if the yellow machines doesn't work or cannot find it, you need to write in pen on the ticket the day and time before boarding the train. I will not guarantee that the last statement is completely true. The yellow boxes have always worked for me and there are more than one around.

Posted by
873 posts

I don't know how it works in Italy, but in other European countries, if you have a ticket for a specific seat, a conductor will come around to check and stamp a validation right on your ticket. If the train goes through a number of stops/segments, your ticket may be checked multiple times. Generally, the next conductor won't stamp your ticket if it has already been validated by the previous conductor, but on a few occasions, they did stamp our tickets multiple times.

Posted by
23564 posts

Anna, what you are describing is not validation. Validation is required to make the ticket valid for that day's travel. When the train conductor comes around and stamps your ticket he is canceling the ticket so that you cannot turn it in as an unused ticket.

Posted by
791 posts

Always validate in the yellow boxes, regardless of what kind of ticket you have. The ticket punchers have gotten a lot more surly over the years and a lot less lenient with people who didn't validate. You used to be able to act like an ignorant tourist and get away with it but I think too many people have tried this and it doesn't work as much now. It's happened to me a few times over the years that I get a machine that doesn't work and of course it always happens when I'm running to catch a train and don't have time to go back and find one that works. I think the fine varies but I know it's at least 30 euros for not validating.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks to all for your replies. I did not have to validate as my ticket was for reserved seat but conductor did come by and punch it. Are reserved seats changeable and if so can it be done on line? It it Italian train. Grazia!