Please sign in to post.

train travel in England

Another England travel question! If we want to take the train from Bath to London, do I need to buy tickets in advance?

Posted by
1265 posts

Laura, Buying tickets in advance may save you from £10.00 - £25.00. If your travel dates are set this my be an option you might want to explore.

Posted by
3580 posts

I got a discounted ticket, for people over 60, to Bath in 2009. It never hurts to ask for the Senior Discount or "Concessions."

Posted by
8700 posts

You will have no trouble buying a ticket, even if you wait until the last minute. However, if you book well in advance at www.eastcoast.co.uk, you can get a discount fare as low as £9.50. That ticket will be for a specific departure date and time and is non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Discount fares are posted on the site about 60 days in advance.

Posted by
284 posts

You don't need to buy the ticket in advance. You can buy it the day of travel at the train station. However, you will be full price as opposed to possibly getting a really cheap ticket by buy in advanced. If you plan on going back to Bath it is usually far cheaper to buy the return ticket at the same time. Make sure the ticket is go for the day and time you want to travel. Same holds for the return. Depending on when you go, the train may be very crowded and you may not have a seat to sit in. Edwin