Please sign in to post.

Using Kayak.com to buy tickets

My husband and I are trying to make a last minute decision on going to Germany in mid March since this will probably be our last trip for at least 2 years (we're expecting in July). Since we are in Atlanta we usually like to fly Delta because of direct routes. However we are talking about going to Berlin so we will have to do connections since no one seems to offer direct flights. When pricing it last night and this morning on Delta.com of course the prices have changed a little but they are not pulling up any flights with connections at JFK for the day we come back. When using the same dates and cities in Kayak it pulls a connection at JFK on the return flight at what we think is a good price ($855). I know I can click the link to buy that ticket and it appears to go to the Delta website but didn't know how reliable that was and if its actually bought through Delta or Kayak. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've never purchased from anyone other than the direct airlines website so it makes me a little nervous. Thanks for any help!
Karen

Posted by
9099 posts

Kayak is strictly is search engine...they don't sell tickets. If you like a price you see at kayak and want to purchase tickets it will redirect you to another site like Expedia or Delta.

Posted by
2193 posts

And you may find that the price on kayak isn't available once you go all the way through the site you've chosen from kayak. I use kayak to get a quick directional idea/sense on current fares. If interested, I always then click through to the site I've chosen to double check the fare and will also go directly to the airline's website. Sometimes, the airline's site has a better fare. I also noticed something new on one of my preferred carriers...they offer a fare but then hit you with a new $20 "fee" mentioned only in a pop-up as you're getting ready to purchase...the verbiage says something about a "difference in fare" but it applies to every possible combination of itineraries I'm checking on. It's sneaky.

Posted by
1021 posts

Just received an email notice from kayak about a Lufthansa fare sale that lasts a week. I use kayak to find deals then book with the airline.

Posted by
689 posts

Kayak has found fares for me that I could not find on the airline website; even plugging in the same flights, for some reason I couldn't find the fare on the airline website. But since Kayak doesn't sell tickets--it merely redirects you to the site that does--I was able to purchase the tickets by going through Kayak to the airline site, and buying them there. You can tell you're on the airline site--there's nothing that should make you nervous.

Posted by
1976 posts

Often, Kayak will give you the same flights with the same price, one flight from the airline's website and the other from a third-party site like Orbitz. I have always bought tickets from the airline directly.

Posted by
284 posts

If it takes you to the Delta site you are purchasing it from Delta. Same holds true for any site you are directed too. Some of the sites will automatically load the ed itinerary from Kayak while on others you will have to re-enter and search for it. Kayak does not sell tickets. Edwin