Please sign in to post.

parking in Rome?

Any advice for coming into Rome (day trip) from the north by car? I don't intend to drive IN Rome, but does anyone know specifics on where to park on the northern fringes with access to Metro or train to take us to the centro?

Posted by
1633 posts

Drive to Orvieto. There is a free parking lot down below the train station (mentioned in Steves' Italy guidebook). From the lot, you take an escalator up to the train station. In other words, the parking lot is not on the same street level as the train station (there was a significant amount of frustration when we were looking for it). Before the train station, you drive around a traffic circle. Take the exit that goes through a short tunnel, underneath the railroad tracks. We took a 1 hour train trip into the Rome Termini station. In Termini, buy your metro tickets at a Tabak shop. By the way, the hill town of Orvieto is wonderful to visit the night before. Have a great time! The weather should be so much better than when we were there.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for the advice...Orvieto would be convenient to where we're staying near Perugia. Does anyone else know of easily accessible parking closer to Rome, however? I know Orte is also a possibility, as there is a train station there...but as we'll have 2 cars rented anyway, I hate not to use them! I was hoping to find something near the ring road/outskirts of the city & just take a train in the rest of the way.

Posted by
934 posts

Orvieto is a good place to park.I would think that with the inexpensive train fares and free parking it would cost more in gas and parking nearer to Rome.Stay the night in Orvieto and get a early start.Its a neat town.