Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Italy

Do I need an international drivers license in Italy and if my credit card gives me car insurance do I need it from the car rental company too?
thank you

Posted by
23291 posts

I would not depend on your credit card insurance regardless of what they say. There has been more one horrid stories posted on this site about credit card not covering accidents.

Posted by
32819 posts

Q 1. Yup. Q 2. Dunno Sorry I can't help on 2; most definitely on 1. I expect Ken to chime in any second.

Posted by
11338 posts

Insurance from the car rental company is mandatory in Italy. For great advice visit http://www.gemut.com and click on the link to the right "Free Download" which is a comprehensive article about renting in Europe. I was a terrified first timerenter last year and the article helped me understand the process and policies. FWIW my US insurance company and my Visa credit card did NOT cover any car rental mishaps in Italy. Maybe others do, so check specifically with your agent and your cerdit card carrier. But don't count on it.

Posted by
32213 posts

Nigel, Thanks for the mention.... Susan, Here are my comments regarding your IDP question.. IDP INFORMATION One important point to note is that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some case is offered at the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information. A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. If you accept the CDW offered by the rental firm, it will be expensive but will provide "peace of mind". Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however I've found this to be somewhat complicated so I just accept that offered by the rental firm. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. Happy travels!

Posted by
12172 posts

Yes, you need an IDP in Italy. I wouldn't go with your credit card. While the credit card may ultimately work, you may face out of pocket costs and delays that ruin your vacation if you're in an accident. Italy is a place where full CDW is worth it. Especially since running red lights is considered normal and yielding to oncoming traffic when turning left isn't. There is also a lot of car prowling so a smashed window is a distinct possibility. I made it through Italy without a scratch but driving there can be an adventure. Bring a good GPS.

Posted by
7209 posts

The easiest way to travel through Italy is by train. No headaches of IDPs, Insurance, Petrol, Tolls, Drop charges, Vignettes, Parking, Unscrupulous rental companies, Speeding tickets, ZTL fines, Wrecks (heaven forbid). Yes, I've done both and a car rental is the absolute last resort for me.

Posted by
2876 posts

Mastercard and Amex usually exclude Italy; Visa usually does not. Be sure to check with your own card provider. If you get in an accident, your own auto insurance will probably cover most of the damage. Your credit card coverage will usually pick up whatever's left, including your deductible. But you likely will have to pay first and seek reimbursement later. Be sure you know your credit card's rules for filing a claim, as there will be time deadlines, etc. Know your fine print. The advantage of buying insurance from the rental car company is that if something happens typically you can just walk away & it's all covered. It is expensive, but lots of people feel the peace of mind is well worth the price. Another option is to buy CDW coverage from a third party, such as Travelguard. Usually the cost is much less than rental company coverage. I've driven all over Italy & Sicily and it's really not that bad aside from the big cities. If you want to explore a region like Tuscany, it's far easier done by car IMO. If you're just going to visit the larger cities, you really don't need or want a car.

Posted by
9110 posts

'your own auto insurance will probably cover most of the damage' Dunno. I've got pretty good auto insurance - - and it only covers rentals in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and Guam.

Posted by
11 posts

thank you everyone. I got the international driving permit - easy as can be - and my insurance probably won't cover anything as I have a very old car - I will buy full coverage with the rental. And.. we must have a car as hubby's a painter and will have a big easel and lots of canvas and paints to haul around, no worries we're avoiding cities as much as possible... everyone's comments much appreciated... .. thank you

Posted by
2876 posts

Ed's point is - as usual - well taken & points up the need for each person to double check the exclusions on any insurance policy they're intending to rely on when traveling.