Please sign in to post.

Spain Railpass

I've looked at the railpass section on this website, at the renfe website, and at Rail Europe (which should have been able to do these comparisons but gave me "this ticket cannot be completed" type messages), and I'm still having a hard time doing a cost comparison between a Spain 1st or 2nd class flexipass and point-to-point tickets. Many of my planned itineraries involve high-speed trains with mandatory reservations, and I also have one overnight "train hotel" planned. It would be great to know whether I can save money with a pass. Does anyone know of a way to find out for sure before I get there? Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Posted by
4555 posts

Liz....post or send your itinerary and dates, and we can try and figure it out. In most cases, you won't save money with a pass, what with extra mandatory reservations and fees for the overnight train. But let's see.

Posted by
32 posts

It gets complicated because I'm by myself for the first part of the trip, then another person joins me and so would need a shorter railpass. Here goes:

Sept 26th train from Madrid to Toledo/ 1 person
Sept 28th train from Toledo to Cordoba (via Madrid)/1 person
Sept 30th train from Cordoba to Madrid/ 1 person [this first part could, I think, be done as a round trip from Madrid to Toledo, then a round trip from Madrid to Cordoba]
Oct 6 train from Madrid to Sevilla, Oct 12 train from Sevilla to Madrid/ 1 person [= RT Mad to Sev]
Oct 14th train from Madrid to Granada/2 people [we would also be willing to do this part by bus which could be cheaper]
Oct 16th night train from Granada to Barcelona/2 people (we want the Preferente Clase double sleeper)
Oct 21st train from Barcelona to Madrid/2 people

If you can help me figure this out, it would really be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Liz