Please sign in to post.

European Vacation

Fellow Travelers. Im planning a 2 week European Vacation in December 2011. I will be arriving in Amsterdam spending 2 days . I will then take thalys to Brussels for a day trip followed by Paris for 3 days. I plan to spend the remainder of my time in Italy. What is the best way to travel from Paris to Italy incorporating a swiss alps visit? Im mainly interested in seeing the swiss alps. I don't plan to ski or anything like that. I would like visit for the day and get some great photos. After the day visit I would like to be on my way to Italy. Any help in incorporating this into my travel would be appreciated.

Posted by
12040 posts

The most direct route from Paris to Italy passes through the Savoy and Piedmont regions, which have the highest peaks in the entire Alpine mountain chain. You don't need to detour out of your way to Switzerland to get some great Alpine scenery. The hours of daylight are very short in December. I would plan on more than one day for the Alps... it will take you long enough to get there from Paris, and if you have any daylight hours remaining, the mountains could be wrapped in clouds. Give yourself more time.

Posted by
813 posts

Just FYI, be flexible with your travel that time of year. As you know, Amsterdam and Paris airports shut down for days at a time last month due to the snow storm.