Please sign in to post.

transportation from Rome to Sorrento

I am going to be traveling to Sorrento in May. However, I am flying in and out of Rome. I was wondering what is the best way to travel from the Rome airport to Sorrento and return.

Posted by
361 posts

Just returned and did this exact trip; only thing to remember is the Cricumvesuviana train is found down stairs in the Naples train station.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks Jerry, this is exactly what I needed to know.

Posted by
2428 posts

We did this but took the slow train from Rome to Naples, only half hour longer and they had small compartments versus the big cars and it cost about 1/4th the price. Be sure to validate your ticket in Rome before you get on train otherwise can get a hefty fine/validation ticket machine is right as you get to the tracks.

Posted by
2 posts

I did this in May of this year, but instead of taking the Circumvesuviana I took a ferry from Naples to Sorrento. If you take a fast ferry, it's quick and convenient, and MUCH nicer than the gritty Circumvesuviana train, which I regrettably took back from Sorrento to Naples. As an added bonus, there are also great views of Mount Vesuvius out the left-hand window of the ferry. Several companies run ferries on the route. For more info and pricing you can see here: http://www.visitingeu.com/western-europe/italy/2009/11/ferry-from-naples-to-sorrento.html. To get from Naples train station to the ferry port, you can either take a taxi or a bus. Bus tickets are available from the newsstands in the Naples train station. It's a 15-20 minute ride and the bus drops you off about a block or two away from the port. Once you're in Sorrento you can take a small bus from the port to the top of the hill where the town is. It only takes a few minutes, but saves you from a steep climb with your luggage.