Please sign in to post.

Tronchetto parking garage @ Venice

We need to park a car near Venice, and RS mentions several lots and garages. I'm not sure parking at Padua or Verona and training in to Venice would be better for the car. Anyone have experience with parking there? I googled the topic already and found info on Trip Advisor that Tronchetto is notorious and Mestre was unsavory... Normally I'd want a garage rather than a lot by a train station. Not having a car is not an option this time. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
92 posts

I drove from Aviano to Venice and parked in the garage of the Tronchetto at the end of the highway going into Venice. Did not have a problem. However, do not leave anything in site and open the glove compartment to show nothing in there. If you have a trunk, use it. That is what I did, and was fine.

Posted by
3313 posts

Left a car in the Tronchetto for four days with no problems. You can tell by the dust on them that many cars have been left there longer. I'd take the usual precautions of leaving nothing of value in sight and not worry otherwise. I do recommend driving to the far side from the entrance to park. The elevators on that side are closer to the vaporetto stop.

Posted by
671 posts

We parked there and had no problem- we had nothing of value in the car, and were only there for a day, though.

Posted by
32824 posts

For several years we have parked in the multi-story car park across the street from Mestre station. I haven't seen what (or who) was said about Mestre being unsavory. What does that mean? Was the author actually there? The area around the station isn't where I'd hang out but it certainly never seemed unsavory to me. It's a station. Show me any station area in all of Europe (ok maybe Bern or Luzern) where you really want to hang out. >> By using the Mestre lot we saved a fortune over Tronchetto. ¶ We looked at parking at one of the open lots at Padova but really didn't like the area nor the appearance of the folks who strolled back and forth, so we upped sticks and parked, as usual, at Mestre. Do be aware that Mestre its stairs and stairs only to and from the platforms. No escalators, lifts, or ramps.

Posted by
850 posts

We also parked at the Parking Lot across the street from the train station in Mestre. Much cheaper than driving on in to the Venice lots and the train ticket from Mestre to Venice is only a Euro or two. Just don't leave anything in the car.

Posted by
973 posts

Thanks very much for this practical advice. May seem silly worrying about where to park the car, but it's important that it's there when we need it!

Posted by
3551 posts

As I did not want to park overnight at Tronchetto due to reported breakins I opted to stay at Novotel Hotel in Mestre which has a garage and a shuttle that takes you to Venice train station regularly. If you are just spending the day in Venice I would not be too concerned but overnight I think is more of an issue. I guess it depends on your comfort level with some risk.