Please sign in to post.

Train from Rome to Florence

I am flying into Rome early on a Saturday morning and wish to take the train directly to Florence. How does this work? Thanks

Posted by
23267 posts

How does it work? Take the train (Leonard Express) from the airport to the train station and catch the next train to Florence SM. A couple trains an hour to Florence.

Posted by
3112 posts

It's easiest to buy both your Leonardo Express ticket and your Rome to Florence ticket at the airport. There's an FS ticket window and a travel agency on the platform where the Leonardo Express train departs. Tickets should be same price at either. Also, be sure your tickets allow at least 15 minutes between trains, as it's a fairly long walk from where the airport train arrives to where the Florence train will depart.

Posted by
1449 posts

be sure you're on the fast trains to Florence; avoid the slow ones that take more than 2x the time! You can look up the schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html You don't need to memorize or take schedules with you, just be sure to ask the ticket agent how long the train you're on takes from Rome to Florence and you'll know if it is the right one or not.

Posted by
1449 posts

Also I want to add that 2nd class is fine; save over 10E and have a glass or two of wine in Florence! You are allowed to take food on board, so if you walk by a deli and see something you want for later you can do it.

The seats are assigned between Rome and Florence, BTW; your ticket will tell you which carriage you're in and which seats you have. There's often a lot of confusion about this (you can guess how I know!). If someone's sitting in your seats just show them your tix and it'll get straightened out.

Lastly, don't forget to validate (stamp) your tix before boarding in the yellow box by the track.

Posted by
3580 posts

the train stations have restaurants and fast-food places, also to-go sandwiches and drinks. Outside the train station in Florence, and probably on the way to your hotel, you will find plenty of bars, McDonalds, restaurants, etc.

Posted by
359 posts

I'm in the process of planning out costs for a November trip, and I went to the trenitalia site above to get and idea of the cost of the train trip to Siena (or Florence) and I got to the point of the scheduled times but couldn't get a price. My guess is that I'm doing something wrong, but how do I plan out an itinerary for the purpose of getting costs figured out for our trip?
I'm used to mocking up everything and getting the costs, but I'm having trouble with the trenitalia site getting the $$ amount. We'll also go from Siena (or Florence) to Venice.

Posted by
3112 posts

Steve, there are two potential issues. If you're using November dates, it may be beyond the 60 day purchase window and that's why you're not getting prices. Try using an earlier date. Other issue is that prices only display on details page for local trains (e.g. Pisa to Vernazza). For trains with a shopping cart in the right column (most of the express trains), you'll need to proceed as if buying a ticket to get to the price.

Posted by
359 posts

Thanks Frank,
That's what I ended up doing. We stopped by Rick's place today and got some more information. It may be better to train into Florence and bus it to Siena.