Please sign in to post.

lost luggage

I've been around this board long enough to see that Alitalia is infamous for losing luggage. Are there other airlines that are as despicable? Mostly, I'm just curious; it sure makes me never want to check another bag again, ever, domestic or international. Specifically though, we will be flying on Aer Lingus and Easy Jet. Has anyone had any specific problems with lost luggage on these airlines (in case we need to check on the way home to accommodate souvenirs)? Again, I'm mostly just curious for future reference. My heart goes out to all of you victims of Alitalia!

Posted by
9363 posts

I've checked bags with Aer Lingus numerous times, and also checked a bag with Easyjet and Ryanair this year. I have never had a problem with any of them.

Posted by
505 posts

British Airways has a pretty bad reputation, but it's often not airlines, but airports that are a problem.

Heathrow is notorious for lost bags, as I think (recently) is Rome.

You decrease your chances of lost luggage by limiting connections, checking in well ahead of your flight and leaving plenty of time between connecting flights. One of the most common reasons for lost luggage is bags not making a connecting flight. Also if you check in late or close to the time limit, your bag is less likely to get to the plane if there are any delays or problems with the baggage system.

Posted by
33 posts

I don't think there is anything worst than ALITALIA!!! WOW... it's just amazing how bad they are.
AirFrance is a well known company "good" on loosing luggage. I had a bad experience with them too, missing items from my luggage.
The list can go on... luggage can go missing.. the idea is to find them.
The best one here I think is Lufthansa, they are always willing to help.

Posted by
79 posts

Steve, you're right! But with new carry-on weight restrictions being imposed by airlines, (13 pounds!) it gets really tough, especially after shopping for a few souvenirs. Currently, our two carry ons are just over half full, but they are too heavy by a couple pounds. We're working on pruning.

Posted by
10 posts

As a veteran airline employee who has worked in the
"lost luggage" office for more years than I care to
admit to, some thoughts and tips from the "other side" of the counter? smile

1 - If you MUST check, please put a complete itinerary, with a cell or local contact and your
name INSIDE the luggage. Often, all id tags on the
outside come off, delaying the bag even further.

2 - At ckin, double ck that airline sticker on ur
handle for your name, and final destination. Sounds simple, I know, but domestic or intl, tag switches
are very common. If u arent sure about that code,
ask the emp. MAKE SURE its ur -final- destination!

3 - When filing a claim, give the emp a minilist
of items INSIDE the bag to help id the bag without
tags.. preferably NON clothing items, brightly
colored or patterned items...everyone has clothes
in their bag.

4 - MAIL items home, or ask the store how much more to have them ship!

5 - DONT CHECK A BAG IF U CAN AVOID IT!