Please sign in to post.

Paris to Rome - train or plane?

Hello! We are trying to decide whether to take the train from Paris to Rome or whether to fly and would love some expert advice. Here are the fine details: we are traveling this Dec./Jan. We are spending four nights in Paris, four nights Rome, four nights Venice. If we do take the train, the point will be to take a day train strictly for the scenery, not a night train. It seems like we can do Paris through Lyon and Milan to Rome in roughly 11 hours - but, we suspect the Paris, Basel, Milan, Rome route is the more scenic one in roughly 12 and a half hours. Both of these are pretty long, of course. We figure since it will be winter, the Milan to Rome leg will be in the dark. So, we're wondering... a.) through the Alps is more scenic than through Lyon, yes? b.) Is the 12-hour train route seeing something of the countryside of France, Switzerland, Italy worth it - and in the winter? Or given our schedule, possibly more worth it to get to Rome quicker in a two-hour flight? c.) We will be traveling with my husband's 83-year-old parents. They are healthy and great travelers, but not super-quick - so we are also wondering (sorry, another question) whether 25 minutes between trains in, say, Milan will be enough time to change trains? Thank you very much in advance for any experienced opinions! PJ

Posted by
2829 posts

Milano-Roma trains are the fast ones (Freacciarossa Alta Velocita, ES*AV on Trenitalia website). You shouldn't take any other train on that route. They are comfortable, but there is nothing much to see because they are... fast. There are more than 110 km of tunnels on the 400km journey. Honestly, I don't think it is worth to take the train just for the sake of seeing scenery. Faster and convenient trains are like modern highways: fast, modern, wide, full of noise-barriers and artificial tunnels. Just take a plane instead.

Posted by
11507 posts

Fly, its faster, and often cheaper,, and I don't know about all the routes, but the one from Paris to Rome is not overly scenic anyways. Look at Vueling. I used them 2 yrs ago for Paris-Rome , only 1.5 hours, even with airport travel time added on, its still less then taking a train,, plus you arrive less exhausted. You don't have alot of time, I think you should just do a seperate trip to Switzerland and Alps in general.. next time you come back to Europe.

Posted by
192 posts

For sure fly. Its not that expensive and saves you time you can spend in the greatest cities in the world. Mike DC

Posted by
4407 posts

I understand about the parents - 25 minutes would be enough, but there might possibly be lots of stairs, etc. Things I'm sure you want to avoid; it's a very large, major station...Your in-laws might prefer a day on a train as opposed to the hustle and bustle of 2 airports and all the moving around and transportation that entails...Traveling is exhausting no matter the age and condition of the traveler......Having said that, I'd advise you to seriously consider flying. (and I love the trains)......As far as a scenic route, people have written on the Helpline about how they worked really hard to plan out a scenic route through the mountains, only to discover later that most of the route went through a tunnel :-(

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you everyone who has so helpfully replied! I appreciate it. I think your thoughts kind of confirms what we were thinking, but our temptation was to take the train through the Alps and have that one particular day be a train day in between cities, just something different. (But then we weren't sure how much of the Alps might be tunnels too.) On the other hand, the temptation to get to Rome early in the day is very strong! Thank you, very helpful!

Posted by
1976 posts

I would also say fly. An 11-hour train ride is very tiring even for young people, and it's a complete loss of an entire day on your trip.

Posted by
11 posts

Thanks for the great insights. I'm starting to think the same thing! Thanks!

Posted by
8700 posts

Your budget airline choices are Beauvais-Ciampino on Ryanair, Orly-Ciampino on easyJet, and Orly-Fiumicino on Vueling. Be aware that Beauvais is a long shuttle bus ride from Paris.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you for the airline tips. I had just started looking at Vueling but hadn't looked at the other two yet. Thank you!