Please sign in to post.

sorrento to rome

I'd like to know if it would be feasible to take a hydrofoil ferry from Sorrento to Naples, then catch the train into Rome September 22,2010 and be in Rome by 9 am?? I am having trouble finding the ferry schedules to see the earliest ride. Everything I read says check at the dock before departure, but I need to know how to arrange my overnight in Sorrento. Thanks.

Posted by
6898 posts

Please note that there are only 7 trains that can get you to Rome by 09:00 from Naples. Only one is a high-speed departing Naples at 06:50. The others all depart earlier.

CLICK HERE to see the first five. Click on NEXT to see the other 2. To catch the 6:50 train, you would need to be on a hydrofoil by no later than 06:00 to get to Naples and then transition to the train station which is almost a mile away from the docks. You will really need to know the departing time of the hydrofoil.

The first Circumvesuviana train departs at 05:01 and arrives in Naples at 06:10. There is a later train but it arrives at 06:42. That gives you 8 minutes to make the high-speed.

There are two bus lines that have buses that depart Sorrento at 06:00 and 06:30. They both arrive at the Rome Tiburtina bus station at 10:00. The 06:00 bus does not stop in Naples according to the schedule on their website.

Posted by
1829 posts

There is also the risk of delays or cancellations if the sea is choppy. The Circumvesuviana train to Naples would be the most straightforward option.

Posted by
15 posts

thank you all for your help! we'll take the train to be on the safe side. I am still having a hard time finding the circumvesuviana schedule, but will be sure and get one immediately upon entering the area. thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

Wanda, you will find the Circumvesuvia train schedule on www.vesuviana.com. For the main Naples train station, you will want Napoli Garibaldi.