Please sign in to post.

Munich parking

We will be driving to Munich on Tuesday, September 21. We will be coming from the Fussen area and stopping at Andechs, Nymphenberg and Dachau that day.

We are considering parking our rental car at the Dachau train station late that day and taking the S-2 in to town and our room at the YMCA (CVJM) near the Hauptbahnhof. We would like to leave the car at theDachau train station for 36 hours (two nights, pick it up the following morning) while we are in Munich. We would then take the S-2 back out to the Dachau station and continue our trip, heading to Melk.
Is there good, safe parking at the Dachau station? Or nearby?
Can you park overnight and leave the car for the 36 hours we plan?
Does anyone have any other suggestions? We don’t want or need to drive in downtown Munich, but we do need a car for the part of our trip before and after Munich.
Is this going to be possible, considering that this is during Octoberfest?
Is parking at the end of the S-2 in Petershausen any safer, better?
How about a downtown parking garage, at or near the Hauptbahnhof?
Thanks!
Mary Lou

Posted by
12313 posts

I've parked downtown. It's underground and seems safe. I can't tell you about Dachau. I would plan for the trains to be extra crowded, especially when Octoberfest closes each night.

Posted by
19240 posts

Here is MVV's plan for the Dachau station. There is a large (610 spots) Park & Ride lot across the tracks from the station building. Unfortunately they don't say how long you can park there. It does say elsewhere that the lot is likely full from 8 AM to 5 PM workdays.

I also found on the MVV website that vehicles are not permitted to be parked over several days. I'm not sure if that means not for more than several days or not for a period covering several days (more than one day). I think they mean the latter. It also says the conditions are posted at the location, but they are undoubtedly in German.