Please sign in to post.

Transportation in Spain

Hello - I will be spending a month in Spain and need to get from Granada to Madrid. My understanding is it's efficient to take the bus. Any suggestions or sites to find the routes/times etc.?

Also, I will be going to Portugal, what's the best way to get to and from from Spain?

Thanks!

Posted by
4555 posts

Michelle...most (not all) bus companies list their routes at www.movelia.es. You can even purchase tickets ahead of time if you wish. There are several/day on the route you want, and it costs under 17 Euro.
As for getting to Portugal, it depends on where you're leaving from. If you're leaving from Madrid, a cheap ticketon airlines like Vueling, Spanair, or Easyjet is the way to go. There's only one train/day, an overnight train that's rather pricey. And there are only two buses...one daytime, one overnight....and it's 40 Euros to travel about 7 hours.

Posted by
36 posts

Hey, thanks Norm! Great info. I can't book my bus trip this soon in advance (for Nov.) via Movelia, but I can see the routes and cost.

I'll look into going btwn Spain and Portugal once I get a better idea of my itinerary.

Posted by
4555 posts

They usually allow purchased only about 2 weeks out. But with so many buses/day, it's usually not difficult. The bus depot is northwest of the downtown core, accessible via the #3 city bus which runs along Gran Via, the main downtown thoroughfare just two blocks from Plaza Nueva. Just remember that there is reserved seating on intercity buses in Spain.