Please sign in to post.

Munich to Rothenburg

I am taking a day trip from Munich to Rothenburg by train. Is the Rothenberg train station near the town center, or will I need to take public transportation?

Posted by
19240 posts

The Rothenburg Bahnhof (map) is outside the city walls, but it's not a long walk, particularly if you packed light. I think there are some buses that go from the Bahnhof to Schrannenplatz, which is inside the wall, in the northern part. The town center is a pedestrian zone.

Update: From just before 9 until 4:30 PM, there are 6 direct buses between the Bahnhof and the center of town. All but one go the Kirchplatz; the other goes to Schrannenplatz. I don't think that includes the Romantic Road Coach, which also goes to Schrannenplatz, but I'm not sure you could board it for that short a journey.

Posted by
109 posts

Nuremburg and Rothenburg o.D.T in the same day wouldn't leave you with much time to enjoy the sights at either place. Most "tourist attractions" don't open until at least 9 or 10 and close somewhere between 4 and 6pm. A few close for lunch or services (in the churches). This would leave you a max of 9 hours to see two cities including train travel. Is there any way to do a day in each? If not, I would really recommend picking one.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks, this is vry helpful (especially the map). Does anyone know: If I pruchase the German Rail Bayern ticket, does that mean I can go anywhere in Bavaria for that day? In other words, I might try to do Nuremberg AND Rothenburg on my day trip from Munich. Can I do all that on the one ticket? Also, are both of those towns doable in one day from Munich or is it too much?

Posted by
19240 posts

I've been to Rothenburg twice, the first time for an entire day. When I came back later, I knew a little better what I wanted to see, so planned a day and a half. IMO, you can't see Rothenburg in a few hours.

It also depends on what you want to do in Nürnberg. I'm into castles more than museums, so I wanted to see the castle that gives Nürnberg its name. It's across town from the Hauptbahnhof. I think there is an U-Bahn line I could have used, but I walked, which allowed me to see thetown, including the market square and the famous fountain on the way, but between the round trip walk, the castle tour, and lunch near the castle, it took at least half a day.

You would probably need a very early start to do both, and unless you go on a weekend, you can't start early (before 9) with a Bayern-Ticket.

However, if you plan this trip well in advance, you could get a Sparpreis Ticket for the trip from Munich to Nürnberg. Because the trip is less than 150 km, the Sparpreis ticket is as low as €19 for one person, €29 for two, and you can schedule your trip to Nürnberg for as early as you want and use a fast ICE. Then, by the time you've seen Nürnberg, it will be late enough you can use the Bayern-Ticket for the rest of the day.

Posted by
110 posts

I've been o Nuremberg twice and could easily have spent two days seeing it. I'm a big WWII buff and those sites alone can eat up an entire day.

Posted by
8 posts

Can I go all over Bavaria on that ticket though, or is it only good to one destination and back? (I know I have to stay on the regional trains.)

Also, if only one of those two towns is feasible and I can't do both, which would you recommend: Nuremburg or Rothenberg o.d.t?