Please sign in to post.

Italy in November

We are traveling to Italy in November for our anniversary. Places of interest are Venice, Florence/Siena, Bellagio, Rome, Capri, and Pompeii. Can anyone comment on what these places are like in November? We don't mind the cold; we actually prefer it to the heat...but I'm curious about what activities are available in mid-to-late November.

Posted by
1317 posts

Florence was very cold. Rome not so bad. Things tend to close earlier (i.e., when it gets dark) but at least in the big cities pretty much the same museums etc. are up and running. Not sure about Bellagio & Capri in November as those are probably better done in nice weather/temperatures, but since I haven't been to either I'll let someone else offer advice on those.

I loved going in November. No heat, humidity, bugs, or crowds. Despite the cold in Florence, we still had several beautiful sunny days. Just dress warmly and with layers.

Posted by
1829 posts

November can be one of the wettest months of the year in Campania, the weather usually turns autumnal at the end of October. But who knows, you could get lucky! With regard to Capri, a problem you could meet is the cancellation of ferries due to choppy seas.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks so much for the input. Perhaps we'll just wait on the weather to decide whether Capri is worth it.

Posted by
646 posts

Last November, we were in Rome and Venice. The weather in Rome was great, sunny, mid-70's. Don't think this was the norm at that time of year, but we truly enjoyed it. Venice was cloudy, misty and mid-50's (which added to the mystic of Venice, I thought.)

Posted by
15771 posts

Pompeii as a day trip from Rome might not be so good. I decided not to do it last February, because the days are so short.

Even in February Venice and Florence weren't bitterly cold, though pretty wet. Rome was delightfully warm and sunny. November overall would be warmer than February. Opening times for museums, etc., are open about the same as other months. Outdoor places will close earlier - you know, around sunset.

If you have the time, spend a day, or better 2, in Verona. Lovely little town with lots to see.

Posted by
1317 posts

Let me throw one more suggestion out there. If you decide to drop Pompeii, you could do Ostia Antica which is just outside of Rome. We were there on an absolutely gorgeous and sunny day in early December and I found the place magical.