Please sign in to post.

salzburg to munich

I THOUGHT I HAVE READ SOMWHERE THAT TRAVALING BY TRAIN ON A EUR-RAIL PASS FROM SALZBURG TO MUNICH IS FREE AND NOT DEDUCTED FROM YOUR PASS CAN YOU HELP CHET

Posted by
19091 posts

Dream on.

Possible they mean that since Salzburg is not included in a pass with Germany and not Austria, you have to buy point-point tickets so then you would not deduct a day of your pass.

Or maybe it is just that you can go from Salzburg to Munich so inexpensively with point-point tickets that it is not worth using a day of your pass.

But NO, it is not free.

Posted by
8700 posts

All passes for Germany also cover border towns such as Salzburg, Austria, and Basel, Switzerland, on trips to or from Germany. But, as Lee says, it will not be free. It will cost you one pass day.

Posted by
1568 posts

This was posted by a previous responder on another thread:

n the Salzburg train station there is both a "DB" (Deutsches Bahn = German train) ticket machine and a "DB" ticket counter. You can buy a Bayern-Ticket at either. Just avoid the more numerous "ÖBB" (Austrian ticket machines).

he blue/white regional train automats are easy to use. Near the bottom of the columns of buttons on the right side of the automat you will find a button for "Bayern-Ticket". There will also be buttons for Bayern-Ticket Single (one person) or Bayern-Ticket-Nacht, but you probably don't want one of those.
The red/white/blue Vernverkehr automats have touch-screen displays, can be made to display in English, and are pretty straight-forward. Just follow the instuctions

Posted by
1568 posts

I believe the Bayern ticket is 21 euros for single and 29 Euros for a single.

By all means do not use a Rail Pass Day.

Posted by
1568 posts

I just checked. Normal/Regular ticket is 23,80 to 27 Euros.