Please sign in to post.

Good meeting place in Rome

Can someone suggest a good place where i can meet up with my friends in Rome. I'm flying into Rome in mid-September and meeting several friends who will already be there. We're not staying in Rome so a hotel isn't the best idea. Is there a good place for them to sightsee and remain flexible while i fly in, go through customs, and train into Rome. None of us will have cell phones that work in Europe, so we'll be missing our normal US tools that would enable us to stay in touch. Perhaps a museum, etc... Also, looking for a good place to stash my luggage so i can hang in Rome with them. We'll be travelling to Orvieto that night.

Posted by
251 posts

A small out of the way toursity thing like the (I forget the official name) Sun or Jupital thing where you put your hand in. It's not so big to get lost, it's cool to see, not overly crowed, and you can all take pictures of each other.

Posted by
6 posts

I've never heard of that. Where is it and what type of tourist spot is it?

Posted by
239 posts

It's the bocca della verita, a drain cover at the church St Mary in Cosmedin. My choice would be meeting in piazza della rotonda, at the obelisk in the center, in front of the Pantheon. They could sit at any of the outdoor restaurants on the piazza and have a clear view of the obelisk, or they could sit on the steps of the obelisk, people-watch, and admire the Pantheon.

Posted by
7209 posts

Definitely in front of the Pantheon.

Posted by
705 posts

Yes Pantheon. You can at least find a place to sit. If you choose Trevi fountain ar Spanish steps they are usually so crowded you prop anywhere without being jostled all the time. Pantheon is also quite central to other sites.