Please sign in to post.

How to get there

I will be in Europe this summer and am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to travel from Ireland to Germany...any suggestions?

Posted by
8700 posts

Fly Aer Lingus from Dublin to Frankfurt, Munich, or Berlin. Book ASAP to get the lowest fare.

Posted by
8700 posts

I have flown Ryanair--and would do so again. However, I definitely would not use them to get from Dublin to either Frankfurt or Munich. It's 1hr45min by bus from Frankfurt-Hahn airport to Frankfurt. It's 2 hours by bus and train from Memmingen to Munich. If you fly Dublin to either Frankfurt or Munich, go with Aer Lingus which uses the main airport for each city. The fare may not be as low, but IMO saving a few euro on a plane ticket is not worth the long transit time.

Dublin to Berlin-Schoenefeld on Ryanair would work fine. Aer Lingus also uses Berlin-Schoenefeld. The airport is 30 minutes by train from Berlin.

Posted by
2876 posts

Tim is right. When you fly Ryanair, make sure you know the specific airport they're you flying into. In cities with multiple airports, Ryanair often flies into the secondary airport, which might not be a happy location for you.

We ran into this flying into Glasgow last year. Ryanair lands you at Prestwick, which is way south of the city.

Posted by
19240 posts

"In cities with multiple airports, Ryanair often flies into the secondary airport .

In the case of Frankfurt and Munich, I would not even call Hahn and Memmingen secondary airports. Both are two hour away from town via public transportation. It's more like flying into Des Moines when you want to go to Chicago.