Please sign in to post.

the train in spain?

after some thinking and input on here, i'm 90% convinced i'm reworking the spain part of my trip--details below. my question--as the renfe site is in spanish, i need some train in spain advice. using my basic spanish, i found that a train ticket from barcelona to granada is around 64 euros; from barcelona to madrid is around 120 euros (which seems like a lot) and i don't know that i've found one from granada to madrid. these are the lowest numbers i've found, but they are on a list of MANY different options, none of which i understand. basically i need to get an idea of how much transport would cost for the trip outlined below and advice on how best to go about doing that. do i get a eurail spain pass? buy point to point? what about seat reservations? these are all things i'm having a hard time figuring out (in spanish).

trip details--original trip: fly paris to barcelona, barcelona seven days, fly barcelona to london (i must end in london--this is non-negotiable) tickets already purchased on easyJet.

new trip plan: split eight days (monday through the following tuesday) between barcelona, granada, and madrid (willing to add/delete all but barcelona)

things that are negotiable--i've found an easyJet ticket from Madrid to London for 39 euros, and i'm ok with losing the barcelona/london ticket if it cannot be refunded (i do not think it can be) but i can't eat the cost of BOTH tickets. so i need to either fly INTO or OUT OF barcelona, as i already have tickets to do so.

EDIT--travel dates--august 2nd through the 9th or 10th. airfare--two one way flights, one from paris to barcelona, one from barcelona to london.

Posted by
471 posts

I just bought some tickets on renfe site so I can give you a little info but Norm is really the expert. The price is really going depend on when you are going. I bought my tickets right at 60 days out and was able to get a web price which I can see on some July dates as low at 58€ for Barcelona to Madrid. I think you have to use the site in Spanish to see the web prices. If your trip dates are closer than that, you may have to pay full price.

Norm had posted a step by step process for buying the tickets in Spanish. You can probably find it as it wasn't that long ago. I had notified my credit card company ahead of time and the sale went right through, but they still called me immediately to verify it.

In regards to your plane ticket, if it is a round trip ticket and you do not fly the first flight, they will probably cancel the second one.

Posted by
12040 posts

... runs gently through the plain. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Posted by
14 posts

Tracy:

You'll love BCN. It's a great city. The Alhambra is impressive and well worth a stop in Granada.

Think about flying between BCN and Granada. We flew the route last Sept on Spanair. It's a short flight. Check Kayak for flights and prices.

If you want any info on the places we stayed in any of the three Spanish cities or have any questions, just shoot me a PM.

Have a great trip.
Charlie

Posted by
182 posts

was in spain in march. madrid, barcelona, granada, and toledo. got a pass through rick's site. the renfe site was always down for me. i called rail europe. i know the board hates them. they were polite, helpful, and not that much more money. i took the night train from barcelona to granada in a single couchette, very cool. lots of ways to go other than private. granada to madrid is about three hours and goes maybe twice a day. the views are great from the train, service excellent. madrid to barcelona is so quick with the high speed rail it is amazing. runs all the time. not sure you have to fly. take the train, relax, take a nap, then you are at your destination. beautiful. have fun be safe.