Please sign in to post.

Brussels or Brugge

My cruise ship docks in Zeebrugge in 3 weeks and will have about 8 hrs to kill. I can't decide if I should go to Brugge or Brussels. This would be my first visit to Belgium. Would appreciate your input. thanks.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you had three days, I would say Brussels, but with only 8 hours? Stay in Brugge. Heck, I wouldn't even go to nearby Ghent (a much more interesting city, in my opinion) with so little time.

Posted by
4555 posts

WIth only 8 hours, Brussels might be a little far away for you....probably 90 minutes by road, and two hours by train each way.
Pick Brugge instead. It's a wonderful city less than half an hour away, with the chief atttraction being the old core of the city is "frozen in time." When the shipping channel to the North Sea began to silt up 500 years ago, Brugge lost much of its importance, and missed much of the development that occurred over the centuries. When the channel began to fill in, merchants simply went to the seaside and established a new port....hence "Zeebrugge."

Posted by
951 posts

Totally Bruge. I would live there if I could.

Posted by
8 posts

Brugge by a mile. Aside from the Grand Place square and a few notable museums, Brussels does not have a lot to offer. Was there for a half day and that was enough. The medieval feel of Brugge on top of the winding canals and historic churches makes it a must see city. Great beer and chocolate