Please sign in to post.

RailEurope or Trenitalia?

I need some advice. I would like to purchase tickets from Milan to Monterosso, but I don't know which website I should purchase them in? Please advice.

Posted by
8700 posts

No contest. RailEurope's prices are inflated and their shipping fee is exorbitant. However, unless there is a definite reason why you need to book that particular route in advance, you can easily buy your ticket when you get to Milan.

Posted by
334 posts

Don't use Rail Europe - inflated prices. In Italy, it's cheap to buy point-to-point. I'd only plan ahead if you need sleeper reservations. Milan to Monterosso is an easy trip. You can go to the counter or use the machines with a credit card - just plan some time to figure it all out.

Posted by
504 posts

I agree. Also, there have been problems with Trenitalia's site recently that have prevented me (and apparently others) from completing credit card transactions. Go to a Trenitalia desk or (better yet) use the Biglietto Veloce (Fast Ticket) machine at the station for your purchase.

Posted by
5 posts

Yes! WE had had a lot of trouble with Train Italia website- the worst part is that you get a statement of reciept from your bank online but there is no reservation made! The Italian website states that your transaction has not been completed...we made one reservation and had not been able to make another one since.. Any suggestions on taking a bust from Siena to Florence? Or a train?

Posted by
504 posts

Marta,

I'd recommend taking the train from Siena to Florence, but you'll notice on the Italy board that some people think the bus is better. You can purchase your train ticket at the Siena station right before you travel--from the desk or the Fast Ticket machine. (Use the Trenitalia site to figure out what time you want to go.) There are no reserved seats and I've never been on a full train from Siena to Florence. They run regularly throughout the day.

Posted by
1166 posts

Although we buy our train tickets at the station too, we are leaving for Italy next week, and I wanted to make sure that we had one of our train legs purchased!I bought online from Italiarail.com and got our tickets in 2 days. I wasn't too concerned about the cost-all the sites have a surcharge as well as shipping charges-I just wanted to know that this was handled. I talked to a representative in the U.S. who answered all of my questions and I did not have to put up with the stupid Trenitalia site!